Across Africa in the DC3

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gevers1
Viscount
Viscount

Across Africa in the DC3

Post by gevers1 »

Hi, i purchased the DC3/R4D package from MAAM the other day; very good so it is. I'm thinking of another adventure (following my 'round Europe' trip in the BAC 1-11 and 'round Britain' trip in the Dove), this time across africa, starting in Capetown and ending in Egypt, and this time in a DC3.

I saw a map somewhere on the internet of such an trip but now I cant find it. I tried the DC3 Airways site (http://www.dc3airways.com) but there's now routemap there that I can see. Does anyone know of such a map, or can anyone suggest a route and scenery that would do the job.

thanks.

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Re: Across Africa in the DC3

Post by johnhinson »

I've never seen such a map but I have made many flights of that nature and simply plan the route around calls at major cities with intermediate stops to suit my preferred flight length. You will find a DC-3 can get in and out of most airstrips in Africa.

There is relatively little add-on scenery available for Africa and you should prepare yourself for some quite uninspiring flights with little AI traffic around and little to look at other than desert. Nevertheless, I find flights of this sort fantastically educational and I have found by geographical knowledge of the world has improved many-fold.

The MAAM-SIM DC-3 is brilliant - enjoy!

John

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

You might like to try a couple of these sites

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/EastAfrica/Eas ... irways.htm

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Africa/index.shtml

They will give you some ideas of routes

As John said there will be a lot of boring flying but there is some reasonably good scenery for East Africa up to Somali
then again starting in Southern Egypt.

leif

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I've grown rather fond of the MAAM Dc-3 of late :)

I might fly her around the world...
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

gevers1
Viscount
Viscount

Post by gevers1 »

jonesey2k wrote:I've grown rather fond of the MAAM Dc-3 of late :)

I might fly her around the world...
Yes, it's a lovely aeroplane alright. It's a shame the VC isn't completely functional, but the 2d popups are great, performance is superb and it really teaches you the art of flying and navigating.

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Captain Pugwash »

also don't forget you can now fly east african airways livery on the maam. just pop down to your local avsim and ask the kind gent at the desk for the file.
reguarding the dc3 fly around the world trip, there was some one in DC3 airways completed such a flight not long ago.
just had a look in the files at DC3 and there are two files for around the world flights. both are for fs9. enter the site and look for routes, once there click on charter and half way down the list is the first world flight. 21,000miles. and a little below that is the second. also a new flight plan has come out from england to sudan. all files are fully suported by fsnav. some have maps and other goodies within the file. hope this helps.

PS the pegasus and warton aircraft have defective scalar's, they would fly around the world on one tank. there is a description of the problem within the forum.

gevers1
Viscount
Viscount

Post by gevers1 »

Fabulous - thats exactly what I was looking for! :thumbsup:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I don't suppose you could link me to the page where said flightplans are? :)
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

ferryman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ferryman »

According to a book on East African Airways, charter flights in the 1950s were often flown using AA roadmaps (the available aviation charts were pre-war). Don't know whether the AA still do them, but for African flightsimming away from the coasts, major rivers and the relatively few radio navaids I can thoroughly recommend the (widely available) 1:4million Michelin maps.
John Lawler

gevers1
Viscount
Viscount

Post by gevers1 »

jonesey2k wrote:I don't suppose you could link me to the page where said flightplans are? :)
Its here --> http://dc3airways.com/dc3_date.htm