CBFS Routes

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

CBFS Routes

Post by simondix »

Are the routes the VA flies based on real routes flown by real aircraft? I know to a certain extent they are. If so how can I find out which aircraft and/or airline flew them. At the moment I am flying a few Rapide routes and knowing which airline flew them would help as I could use the correct repaint.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: CBFS Routes

Post by Chris Trott »

I do believe there's several threads in here on that, including what airlines flew them. In addition, you can always look up the registrations to find out which airline goes with which registration. I know that John hasn't assigned fleets yet, but maybe that is something we should consider and then assign fleets by airline and then assign each fleet the routes that that airline flew. That's what Konny was doing it for, but it'll take time.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Problem with that Chris is you then need paints for all the aircraft

As it stands any CBFS route for that type can be flown by any real world livery depending on choice and availiability.

Also as it stands the pilot can fly his favourite livery on his favorites route if served by that type.

Tying them up will put pressure on painters to produce liveries that may never get flown and at the same time reduce choice for the pilots

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately I don't have a record of which operator flew which routes just that the route was flown by the type. It wouldn't be practicable to assign specific aircraft to specific routes as quite a lot of aircraft were very nomadic when it came to ownership and were passed around like a pair of well worn shoes. DaveB is the Rapide expert.

Regards

John

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Simon :)

Expert is probably a very strong abuse of the term but yes.. I have a keen interest in the type :lol: As John pointed out, the aircraft were very nomadic and passed through many hands before their ultimate demise. Much of the route structure we have in place is based on the operations of the Railway Air Services.. pre WWII. While RAS were a bonafide airline in their own right.. they also operated routes on behalf of other operators and likewise.. other operators operated routes on behalf of RAS. Great Western & Southern Air Lines.. Isle of Man Air Services.. Blackpool & West Coast Air Services.. these were the main operators of the day but there were others.. Olley Air Services Ltd.. Scottish Airways Ltd a notable 2 :) With the end of the war came the end of RAS and surplus aircraft went to the new owner/operator.. BEA. All BEA paints (Islander Class) are available from the members forum.

The Rapide routes are accurate as are times wherever possible ;-) I'd be chuffed to bits if a Dragon appeared or a Spartan Cruiser as the route structures could be increased by some way. A smattering of Moth's in varying Mk's would also be nice. One day maybe ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Thanks for all the replies, which answers the question. I see a DH86 is around but the panel is basic,no criticism intended as I could not even make a basic panel, but I understand that was not used on many routes in Europe. Just got hold ofOrd-Humes British Airliners book 1920-1940. Looking forward to reading that. Waterstones selling it for a snip.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Simon

Yes mate.. I have that one and we've looked at getting it onboard. Problem is.. it's (suposedly) a beta (and the panel bares this out to a large degree). They took many of the mail routes from Rapides but these are in place (Shoreham-Croydon-Birmingham-Liverpool joining the north and East/West) ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

They were extensively used on Jersey services before the war operating from teh beach on the south coast of Jersey.

Garry
Garry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

From what I've read until the fin modification was made they were a bit of a death trap in certain situations. Mind you all aircraft can be in certain situations.
Simon

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There was a mysterious and fatal crash at Jersey when one took off from the airport then went into am every tighter spiral

Garry
Garry