moving an airfield??

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

moving an airfield??

Post by 233SQN »

folks:

I do most of my virtual flying low and slow from a farm strip called Croft Farm in Worcestershire.

The real Croft farm is easy to spot from the air as it is on the edge of the disused RAF Defford.

I would like to add an RAF Defford to my flight Sim world, but I have no modelling experience and as it is only required as a "visual aid" I wondered if it is possible to take an existing (similar layout) airfield, re name it and change its location to suit?

If so....how do I go about it?

Thanks as always for your guidance!
Thanks

Colin Bear

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: moving an airfield??

Post by DaveB »

Hi Colin..

You should be able to do that (eg.. copy an airfield) though it would take rather more than dragging and dropping I fear. On second thoughts.. maybe not as all relevant buildings would be referenced geographically :brick: You then have the problem of elevation so new flattens would have to be made! :roll:

Easiest thing to do (he says!!) is grab a freeware prog called Runway12 and have a dabble. You can add bits to an existing scenery area using EZScenery (payware) but to be brutally honest.. I don't think there's any 'Easy' way to set about it. Most of these programs require a steep learning curve but you gotta start somewhere ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

If all you want is a visual aid

Best way to do it is get AC AFCAD and build it yourself :) its not difficult and actually a lot of fun

You wont have structures but you can model the runways taxiways etc etc and AFCAD.exe is available

at the usual suspects, Allnodes and Avsim - Hey if I can do it anyone can - and its fun

You will need to research the airfield in question and have lat/lon, runway dimensions and headings , elevation

etc etc....and you never know, it may awaken an appetite for scenery building

Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yep.. of course.. Afcad!

Sri Colin.. I have a head full of cold courtesy of SWMBO who said with a smile 'Don't worry.. it'll only last 3 days' and that was a week ago!! Afcad is probably your easiest option and it's free ;-)

Cheers Leif :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Don't forget Google Earth. There is a good clear satellite view of RAF Difford and you can use Google Earth to get Lattitude and Longitude co-ordintes by moving the mouse over the image. Enter these co-ordinates into AFCAD and your on your way. Start with the runways, then add other details.

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 233SQN »

Thanks folks........

I have downloaded AFCAD... it does look quite easy to use.... look out Gary Summons!!

regards
Thanks

Colin Bear

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Once you get the hang of AFCAD it is very easy to use. You do need to read the documentation and then refer to it when you run into problems. Most applets in AFCAD have a context sensitive "Help" button and that is a great resource.

Also you can get help right here if you have questions. I have used AFCAD quite a lot and if I can help, I certainly will. If not, I am sure others will be able to help.