TrackIR 4Pro?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

TrackIR 4Pro?

Post by hobby »

With Techy' and another FS addict's help we solved my Skype problem on Monday evening and then enjoyed my first 60 mins. of online flying.

Two of us flew in Chipmunks and I was obviously No.2. Periodically I lost sight of my companion who was using the above device and was thus able to keep track of my relative position.

I was very impressed with the TrackIR 4Pro kit and wondered whether forum members who use that equipment would be of the opinion that it would be essential for 'multiplayer' online flying?

Opinions and comments sought from forum members.

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: TrackIR 4Pro?

Post by Techy111 »

Its an essential piece of kit - full stop - in my opinion...... ;-)

Now i use it i really cannot look back....no pun intended..... :lol:

It really has changed the way i fly in FS and looking around as you fly becomes so natural..... :thumbsup:

A must have...... 8)

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

Definitely worth getting. I could never fly in VC view without it, any more.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Hobby :)

I bought one.. used it half a dozen times then gave it to Rick :lol: If flying by VC is your 'bag' then go for it as flying from a VC without one is so incredibly rubbish, they're not worth the modellers effort. I still much prefer 2D which is another reason why I stay put in FS9. It seemed like a good idea at the time...

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I thought I was alone in prefering to fly in 2D. I never understood what all the virtual cockpit fuss was about. Maybe because I have chronologically challenged eyesight but I find it very difficult to read gauges in the virtual cockpit. It is sometimes ok with small aircraft but with airliners, forget it.

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

nigelb wrote:I thought I was alone in prefering to fly in 2D. I never understood what all the virtual cockpit fuss was about. Maybe because I have chronologically challenged eyesight but I find it very difficult to read gauges in the virtual cockpit. It is sometimes ok with small aircraft but with airliners, forget it.

TrackIR helps in that respect, as you can lean in to read any of the smaller gauges/text. Still, the reason people enjoy VC flying is because it's so immersive (with TrackIR at least), being able to freely look around an actual model, rather than a set of fixed bitmaps. I agree, it can be challenging to read certain things in the VC, and can understand why some would choose 2D panels instead. In all honesty, I've always hated 2D panels, but each to their own!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I was the 'other guy' flying with Hobby (you did really well for the first time in MP by the way so don't worry about 'losing' me periodically) and as he says I was using TIR4.

Like most of the others here I now cannot fly without it and IMHO it is the most vital hardware add-on I have after my HOTAS. When I bought it I had to make a choice between a set of 'proper' rudder pedals or the TIR and I don't regret getting the TIR at all. I use the pedals from my PC racing wheel and while they do work after a fashion they are nothing like the real thing.

Regarding the gauges, my eyes too are deteriorating with age so if I can't read a gauge I just lean in towards the monitor and it's just like you have leaned forward in a real cockpit, the gauges get bigger and more legible as you lean. Even though I love to fly in the VC I will still use the pop up gauges from time to time (if they are available) but I honestly cannot remember the last time I used a full panel instead of the VC. One of the reasons for this is because TIR does not work too well with panels as wherever you move your head the panel goes with it which I find a bit disconcerting and it blows the 'realism' effect that TIR provides.

If you are thinking of getting a TIR I would advise you to shop around as prices vary greatly depending on the supplier. I picked mine up new and still sealed in it's plastic bubble for less than half the usual price from a Canadian Ebay store that specialized in virtual reality hardware.
Larry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I treated myself to Track-IR from the Skysim stand at Duxford.
I have to say that it's the best addon that I've ever purchsed for flightsim. I was a 2D addict, but with the quality of VC's now, my views are changing (pardon the pun :lol: ).

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Might have to get one of those, got plenty of aeroplanes that are just begging for something like this...
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

With a good VC, Track IR is brilliant, and even with a duff one, you can still look over the side when taxiing a tail dragger.
You will soon find it is best not to let go with a big sneeze when you're on short final :$ :lol:

MikeW