Nicosia scenery

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Nicosia scenery

Post by TobyV »

Hi all,

I've been away from FS for quite some while but having had a decent break over Christmas, I decided to fire up my old FS2004 and re-create Nicosia. I used Gergely Kosa's existing freeware as a basis, but have eventually only kept the landclass and exclude. Luckily theres quite a lot of material for this one on the web. This is WIP and presently for FS2004 only (I dont have FSX) but if someone knows how to convert AFCAD2 files, API/SCM macros or if theres a version of EOD that can create stuff for FSX they're welcome to convert it once I am done.

Heres some preview pics, my aim is to keep this simple (all the pictures and the satellite photos suggest its a a pretty desolate and sparsely built up place anyway!)

Terminal (somewhat restored compared to present appearance!)

View of front of the terminal across the car park

Apron and in the distance, the hangar outside which 5B-DAB presently rots!

Happy new year all and hope you had a good Christmas

Toby

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Nicosia scenery

Post by DaveB »

Nice Toby :thumbsup:

We were looking for a decent Nicosia scenery for the VA a while back and ended up making do with what was out there. Ben knocked up a quickie for FSX users.

Keep us up to speed ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Cheers Dave. The AFCAD is basically there unless I decide to add more ground polygons (and the two hangars) east of the Rwy 32 threshold. I'm unsure but I wonder if some of this has been added more recently by the UN although the airport was military originally, so.... :think:

If anyone has any approach plates, tower frequencies or ILS information relating to the place that'd be handy. Other than the Terminal which is 90% complete, the hangar and the tower and some masts which I have yet to model, the only other buildings will be stock scenery so this shouldnt take long to finish - unlike some of my other half finished efforts which feel like climbing Everest by comparison!

Wolfgang
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi Toby,

indeed very nice !
Is there a chance for a backdated ( 57-63 )
Nicosia from you ?

Best Regards

Wolfgang
You can't fight in here Gentlemen.
This is the War Room !

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hi Wolfgang,

My personal interest is the era depicted as I was involved with a project to rescue the Trident thats now at Manchester a couple of years ago (and was thinking about somewhere to fly DM's model). In my searching I have only found one vaguely useful photo of the site prior to 1968 when the "new" terminal was built, so I think it'd be difficult for anyone to do unless they had access to mroe reference material. On the plus side, the control tower surely dates back to then and even further back:

Toby

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Very nice indeed! :dancer: I can't model for sh1t, but if those objects are created in some version of MAX I'm pretty sure there is a way of making them usable in FSX. The file I did in FSX planner is a bit of a hybrid and (I think) I but some NAVAIDS in which would probably not have existed. Rick or DG might know the best way to do it. I'm over in Belfast at the moment as my Grand mother died the other day, so I won't be able to have a play until the end of next week, but I'd love to add your objects in if I can. :thumbsup: :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Wolfgang
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi Toby,
so I think it'd be difficult for anyone to do unless they had access to more reference material
Yes, thats always the biggest problem, I know.
I only hoped that you have found something about this timeframe in your research for Nicosia.

Best Regards

Wolfgang
You can't fight in here Gentlemen.
This is the War Room !

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Ben,

The tool described in this thread (if you can find it?!) can convert SCASM API macros to FSX mdl files. So this should be able to permit my buildings to be place in FSX in theory. Then its just a case of replicating or converting the AFCAD (Mine is a fair bit different to the currently available FS2004 freeware one).

All thats left for me to do, is to finish one external ramp on the terminal and texture the control tower. I presume all the same bitmap texture formats that are supported in FS2004 are also supported in FSX?

Wolfgang,

This is the picture I found, its slightly better than I though. Appears that the old terminal and facilities were located just south of the east end of the present cross runway:

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8706/n ... eld4iq.jpg

Toby

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

This is great Toby and a definate keeper (or will be when you finish it) :thumbsup:

The currently available has some rather garish green ground textures which can be spotted from space so I for one have been waiting for a replacement to be released :rock:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Toby,

Yep I'm familiar with the tool, but unfortunately what it produces is often poor and criples frame rates. That said I'll give it a go and see how it looks. ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage