Horsa Project

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Horsa Project

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's..

I've been sent this item by my team leader at Brooklands.. unsurprising as one of the chaps pictured is a boyhood friend :lol: Don't know what you think of such a project but they're trying to get lottery funding. There is a link on the news page should you wish to vote plus full details of the project ;-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/shropshire/ ... 137309.stm

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Horsa Project

Post by Nigel H-J »

I think it deserves every bit of funding it can get. These gliders played an important role during D-Day and without them the efforts by ground forces would have been much more difficult. Also not to forget the pilots who flew them and had to bring them down in the most difficult of circumstances often crash landing due to unseen ground obstacles which are very difficult to see from altitude, these pilots are the unsung heroes.

By building this Horsa Glider it will ensure that the memory of those pilots and those who flew in them are remembered.

My vote will be cast tomorrow.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Anyone with that much devotion on a minority subject (It's not a Spitfire) deserves all the help they can get. :thumbsup:

Not just finacial either, but moral encouragement and practical help in support of the efforts to recreate what was a vital part of the history of WW II. :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

It would be a superb tribute to all those very brave men who went to war in these aircraft.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Definitely a worthwhile project, imho. I wish them much success. I voted for it...and my vote was accepted. :o How is it that I can vote for how the National Lottery is distributed but I cannot watch BBC shows on the Internet? :lol:

Brian

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

FlyTexas wrote:Definitely a worthwhile project, imho. I wish them much success. I voted for it...and my vote was accepted. :o How is it that I can vote for how the National Lottery is distributed but I cannot watch BBC shows on the Internet? :lol:

Brian
I think it is called a licensing fee, which neither you or I pay. ;-) That and rights restrictions.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There are a lot of links on various sites including my emails home page to American video links that tell me it's not avaiable in my area so it works both ways. :-(

I suppose the only real difference is the British stuff is worth watching :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Gets my vote :thumbsup:

Relevant as well, as if I'd been in my old Army unit a mere 36 years earlier that's probably how I would have arrived at Arnhem.....

ATB,

Derek ;-)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Duly cast my vote, and it was accepted.

I wish them every success with a very commendable project.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.