Vulcan howl

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Vulcan howl

Post by Tweek »

One thing that annoys me about the FSX IRIS Vulcan is that it really doesn't seem to capture the howl of the engines at full throttle very well. I mean, it sounds like it's trying to scream and shout, but really, sounds as if it's just had its tonsils removed. One aircraft that did sound as it should was the old PSS offering, however I've been unable to locate the exact sound file that it used for the howl. Is there perhaps any way of taking the sound of the howl and transferring it to the IRIS version? Of course, with the FSX sound cones and everything, it may also work as desired, where you can only hear it whilst the aircraft is heading towards you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Vulcan howl

Post by Garry Russell »

I do't know about adding them, but if you click on the sound files they should play so that would help to identify the one you want *-)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

Garry Russell wrote:I do't know about adding them, but if you click on the sound files they should play so that would help to identify the one you want *-)

Garry
Come on, give me some credit - I did try that! :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Good :lol: :lol:

:hide:

Garry
Garry

ajb
Comet
Comet

Post by ajb »

I've got the PSS Vulcan and tried to find the "howl" sound file. It's not in the sound folder either for the aircraft or the sim. I suspect that it is contained within the main gauge file :(

Andy
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core 4.2GHz
AsusTeK Prime B450M-A Motherboard
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 4Gb
3x 250Gb SSD + 1x 1Tb HDD

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

In which case, I don't suppose it's possible to extract a line out of one of the configs which you could then perhaps transfer to the IRIS one? I would have thought there'd be some way of doing it, but I'm not even a beginner when it comes to gauges, let alone an expert!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There are sound editing programmes which I've not seen but should assemble all this for you *-)

Garry
Garry

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Most of the PSS Vulcan characteristic sounds are hard coded into the gauges, try using the gauges in another aircraft and you'll still hear things like the howl. You'd have to decompile the gau. files and understand the C code to do anything with them.

I seem to remember using some of them (beam compass rings a bell) on an early Britannia panel many years ago, and you got the howl at full power :-O Ironic on the whispering giant.

cheers

Fraser

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

the howl is there, just when full throttle at begining of take off, which is the same in the real Vulcan... Im not sure about when low flying speed...

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed.. as it should be. It only happens at a particular speed range at takeoff on full throttle which is much slower than you'd ever attain in the air. :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!