This will keep me amused for a while...

Post by Pricetx »

Just arrived in the post today :)

let the games begin...
Jonathan Price

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Re: This will keep me amused for a while...

Post by ianhind »

Amazon said my pre-order copies were sent today. How long will it be before I can persuade my wife to go through the pain of re-installing the OS?

I have offered to virtualise her current XP PC so that all will be ok - better check it works before I do the Win7 install :hide:

Ian

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hopefully mine will come in the next few weeks... FOC from MS ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

FOC and having to work with computers all day versus paying for Windows occasionally?

No decision ;)

Seriously if I worked with the systems side of things, I doubt that I would be so interested in "playing" with PCs. I do tend to use a PC all day with some gentle word processing but after work it's time for some PostgreSQL, Linux, php fun!

Ian

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'll buy this sometime soon.
Just need to figure out the best way to install it first. I had the RC1 installed as a dual boot with XP, both OS's on different drives, no problem, I know I can do that. :) Potential problem comes when it's time to ditch XP altogether. How to remove XP from the boot menu & then make the second drive (with 7 on it) into the main boot drive *-)
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Easiest way is to have XP on one physical drive and 7 on the other Dave.... but you end up with lots of drives! :lol:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

That's what I have at the moment Ben :lol: XP on one, W7 RC1 on another & FSX on a third :cpu:

The drive with XP on is the main boot drive, with a boot menu to select XP or 7. When I install W7 retail, I want to keep the same setup for now. No problem with that, but if I remove the XP drive later I don't know if the W7 drive has the necessary bootsector to become the boot drive as it was originally relying on the XP drive to boot :S
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

All you need to do (from memory) is remove the XP drive and set the 7 drive to your boot drive in the BIOS. Then you run a repair bootsector on the 7 drive.

TBH the easiest way to do it is probably to install 7 as your main boot drive from the offset and put your XP on a VM within windows 7

ImageImageImage

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Ben Watson wrote:Hopefully mine will come in the next few weeks... FOC from MS ;)
Same here too! FOC from MS! :Dance: Just waiting for that one to come and hopefully the new Laptops "free" upgrade to come through.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Having read all the reviews, I'm sold on Windows 7. My problem is that we've got four Vista laptops in the house and apparently W7 has excellent networking functions. Unfortunately the networking only works with other W7 machines. Which means that, ideally, I'd upgrade at least 3 of them :S

Fortunately those nice people at Microsoft have announced that they're going to do a family pack of 3 licences for £150 for a limited period so I'm waiting for Amazon to email me when it's available. If anyone's already seen it for sale please let me know!

3 upgrades should keep me busy until xmas ... :(

EDIT: Just checked on Amazon and the family 3 pack (one licence) is available for £20 discount = £129.99 which seems like excellent value, so I've ordered it.

Ian :)
Last edited by speedbird591 on 22 Oct 2009, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.