Windows 7

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Windows 7

Post by ChrisHunt »

Well I done it - upgraded from Vista to 7 (resistance is futile, which it would be if it was 7 of 9 ;) ). And I must say I'm impressed; the only thing it didn't do was pick up my sound card, which given it's a bog standard Creative I'm a bit surprised. I decided to do a clean install which still keeps all your old stuff in a folder called Windows .old (if you let it). I've only just remembered my password to set up my email account again and forgot where I put my anti virus details (hopefully Kaspersky will remind me of them soon).

I know it's Microsoft and all that but it is a thing of beauty, very quick in general use. Trouble is I've now got to reinstall FSX and all my stuff, still a small price to pay to get away from the abortion that was Vista. When upgrading (at least from Vista) there is an option to keep all your files and settings but I thought the old box needed a good clear out (now to keep my sons away!).

Installation took about an hour, including backing up all the old stuff, and with only a few questions at the beginning and end it pretty much got on with it itself. You don't get Windows Mail by default but that's soon fixed by downloading the Windows Live version (free). Also didn't get the option of which browser I wanted as it installed IE8 straight off but then this was an upgrade so maybe the choice comes with the full version.

Regards,
Chris

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Windows 7

Post by TSR2 »

Great minds think alike :lol: Just done mine tonight too! didn't do an install over Vista though, used a new drive as it partitions the drive if you do it on a clean disk... not sure why, some sort of boot loader partition i think. Don't believe it does that if there is an OS already on the disk. *-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Due to get my copy very shortly.

Could do with a heads up here fellas.

Whats the best plan of action with regards to my current installation of FSX.

I have Vista home premium at the moment and am running FSX with SP2, with GenX v1.0 and a raft of addons including REX2, Cap Sim etc..

Does the whole machine need to be formatted fresh? Does FSX need to come off with all the add-ons?

Have'nt a clue what to do when the disc arrives. *-)
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Personally i prefer to do new opperating systems from the ground up, i.e. formated drives etc, but the Upgrade on the RC1 version worked for me and left FSX intact with addons. That said, i've just flattened this machine (after backing everything up) so I'll just copy over my airplane, ship, effects etc. The GenX stuff is a different matter. If your coming from Vista some of the data for the addon scenery is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ and this will need moved too... can be a bit tricky, so if you have the time, a reinstall would probably be best, but not easiest ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

I had Vista Home Premium and bought the upgrade version of W7. At the start of installation you have two options; the first is to keep current files and settings and the second is to remove all traces of the previous versions of Windows and start again. I opted for the latter. The first option will keep FSX intact and you should be able to carry on as before. The second option copies the following existing folders to a new folder called Windows.old (if you have sufficient space on the OS drive):

Perflogs
Program Files
Program Files(x86)
ProgramData
Users
Windows

I had 64bit Vista installed hence the two versions of Program Files.

I copied all of the stuff I wanted to keep to another disk but in the end I needn't have bothered. The reason I went for the clean install was because between them my sons had installed an awful lot of rubbish and I thought it was time for a bit of rigerous house-keeping (and I feel much better for it). Trouble is I now going to be spending quite a few hours putting all my FSX stuff back amongst other things.

Regards,
Chris

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Here's a screenshot of my new Windows 7 desktop! I got a good deal from a nice man in the market. The graphics need a bit of tweaking but it doesn't put much strain on the resources.

Ian :S

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

I bet that runs FS95 at a cracking pace now Ian....???

:lol:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

With that calculator icon it looks as if you have the business version of 7.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Ha ha! I was joking Image

Actually, I've upgraded our three main laptops from Vista to W7 (not clean installs) with no problems (yet :worried: ) I know I was very happy with Vista but this is lovely. It's very fast and easy to use and boots up and shuts down in no time. Here's what my desktop looks like at the moment.

Ian :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Ah....Speedbird Jumbo for wallpaper :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."