NE Lincolnshire

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

NE Lincolnshire

Post by TSR2 »

Hi chaps. The Watson family are contemplating a move next year to be a bit closer to the outlaws near Driffield in East Ridding of Yorkshire. I don't want them to be too accessable ;) , so I was thinking maybe just over the Humber in North East Lincolnshire, maybe somewhere like Grimsby. Ideally I'd like to be close to the coast, but I have to balance that with the likelyhood of being able to get a suitable job somewhere thats commuteable. South of the Humber seems to give reasonable easy access to more places... Doncaster, Sheffield Leeds etc, even Nottingham at a push. I guess I'm asking if anyone is familiar with the Grimsby area, or anywhere really between Grimsby and the humber bridge. Are there any places to avoid or things to be aware of?

The move isn't immenent, but just trying to do some research. :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: NE Lincolnshire

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Ben

I think John Payne lives in that sort of area, so you should get some advice...when he pops up :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Ben,

Sorry, can't help with specifics, it's been a while since I was in the area.....OT but I'll ramble anyway :lol:

I was at the Army driver training school at Leconfield in the late '70s, by then Driffield was part of the complex as well...by the time I'd finished, lights, HGV, tracked vehicles and PIgs, (sorry, 'Humber armoured vehicle' :lol: ) I must have driven countless hundreds of miles around the area you mention..I've just looked on the map and all the place-names are familiar :lol:

The Humber Bridge was being built at that time and we'd often park up for lunch at Hessle just under the northern end..very impressive engineering. I took my HGV test around Hull city centre on a Saturday morning...how I passed is beyond me :lol:

OK, ramble over ;)

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Ben,

I've lived in the area since 1980 when I moved to take up new employment. I always think of Grimsby/Cleethorpes and the area being a 'dead-end'. What I mean by that is you don't pass through Grimsby, you have to head for it on purpose. Reasonable shopping in the with most of the big names covered. Dining out can be pretty cheap with a lot of the restaurants tempting you in with offers. Cleethorpes beach has a blue flag and was very busy a fortnight ago when we last ventured that way. Housing prices reasonable. Road transport-wise its handy for the A180/M180 and then connecting into the motorway network. Local airport is Humberside. Trains services are reasonable from what I gather but no through train to London as yet (still being talked about) so connections via Newark or Doncaster I believe .Would you be looking for a job when you get here or have you a job in mind already?

Regards

John

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Have a look at Gristhorpe Ben. You'll be neighbours with Graham (Filonian).. it's far enough from Driffield to be a car ride and importantly, you're within striking distance of the Yorkshire Air Museum :rock: :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I should get Lewis from A2A to stick his head in here, he was born and raised in Grimsby.
Larry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers John. Sent you a PM.

Rgr that on the Motorway connections, that was my thinking too. East Yorkshire isn't an option as it takes at least an hour to get from Bridlington to York, and I'd probably need to get to Leeds or Doncaster from there which would make a daily commute 2 - 3 hours each way which is no good.... also, the outlaws live in East Yorkshire too, and although I want to get closer to them for my good Lady, I don't want them too close. All I've done so far is look on Bing maps, so any info is welcome. Barton upon Humber looks like a good location on the map too, but I know nothing about the area.

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

The area between Gainsborough and Scunthorpe is very pleasant with some lovely small villages. North of the Humber , Beverley and its surroundings is very pleasant and still leaves the West Yorkshire conurbation within fairly easy driving distance ( about 1 hour) . Be warned, however, that all the flatlands suffer in winter from foggy days

Lewis - a2a
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Lewis - a2a »

Hello Ben,

Born and bred int he area and I can saftly safe that although communiting is great in theory it quite simply wouldnt work for the NE Lincs, not sure about Hull. Best bet would be more towards Lincoln, Newark northgate is on the east coast main so brilliant for trains. Grimsby is as John has said a deadend really, best to work in the area as opposed to go anywere too far from home.

My family live in Great Coates, ont he outskirts of Grimsby a nice little village that has been slowly covered up by Grimsby itself so its attached but its still very nice. Theres plenty of nice towns/villages along the coast if Grimsby/Cleethorpes isnt your thing.

Aviation wise you get the bonus of being in Bomber county, loads of action from the local fields, esp if out Lincoln way, the red's regualry practice over the Cathedral. Plenty of local museums etc.

Any specifics feel free to give us a yell. Would you be looking to buy, rent etc? My mother owns a few properties throughout GY and I could try and get you any details of sort of prices you may be looking at for renting as well as mmmm, how shall we say, the 'rep' of a given area *-)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

Thanks again for the feedback. I know nothing of the rep of the different areas down that way, so any info is better than none. All I know is that East Riding is out due to proximity to she who must be avoided, I don't mind Lucy & Daisy going to see her, but I don't want un fetted access the other way. And being close to the coast puts a limit on things too. why is life so complicated! :lol:

ImageImageImage