PSS/JF Vulcan

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

PSS/JF Vulcan

Post by WarHorse47 »

I've had the JF Vulcan for some time now, and flying it continues to be a love/hater relationship. I love the various models, textures, VC, sounds, and everything about the aircraft except for the handling. :dunno:

The flight dynamics just do not seem right. Its extremely difficult to hold level flight in that the pitch is either one extreme or another. I've modified the aircraft.cfg sensitivites for both the elevator and elevator trim, but am still looking for some suggestions on what else can be done to improve the flight dymamics.

On a related matter, I noticed that there is a difference in the number of texture files for the repaints I've installed. The original texture folders for the JF install has 4 to 5 bmp files, whereas the repaints for the PSS Vulcan have as many as 13 bmp files. The additional files for the PSS Vulcan appear to be for the VC textures, which I assume are not needed for the JF Vulcan. Anybody have any insight into this issue? Is it safe to delete any of the texture files begin with PSS??

Thanks in advance :cheers:

--WH

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: PSS/JF Vulcan

Post by Garry Russell »

The flight dynamic issues are probably in the .air file *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

I have some Vulcan FD files I have amended to be more realistic - lively but stable control surfaces and good handling on approach with spoilers out (no flaps of course). These are not for the JF Vulcan but with a few tweaks to the U/C positions should be mateable with the JF visual models. I use Paul Foster's vulcan models (pdvul427.zip) to which I mated the FD files which belonged to another Vulcan, by Mr Ito I think.

I'm happy to share them and will try and upload to the Pond
Regards,

Degsy

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The undercarriage positions between the two models will only be compatable if both models have identical centre lines, undercarriage positions and animations, which is highly unlikely *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

Garry is of course right, but I have known similar aircraft to be very close in these matters.

Have uploaded the files to the Pond and hopefully Leif will oblige with advice when the file is released. If the U/C is slightly out, then provided the C of G between the two models is reasonably close (and you don't taxi on grass to reveal the wheel positions), the compromise should be more acceptable than bad FDs. If the U/C positions are close to the visual, then a little tweaking may just get it spot on...

One note of warning - DON'T amend the C of G or datum positions to align the FD files with the visual model unless you are familiar with redesigning FD files as you can end up with an unflyable plane !!
Regards,

Degsy

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Thank you, Degsy.

I will give it a try and let you know. :agree:

--WH

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

I'm sure if you search far enough here there is a link to a corrected set of flight dynamics for this Vulcan that has already been developed some time ago.

Certainly a first - having one of dear Mr Ito's FD sets being described as better than any other!!! :) :) :)

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Allan L wrote
Certainly a first - having one of dear Mr Ito's FD sets being described as better than any other!!!
err, I was referring to Mr Ito's visual model, not the FD as his FDs were always rather wide of the mark :agree:
Regards,

Degsy

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

FD file now available at the Pond (Classic British Files) as "Vulcan_fd_files_DGS". 27 downloads already, I hope they're not disappointed...
Regards,

Degsy

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

dswanson wrote:Hi,

FD file now available at the Pond (Classic British Files) as "Vulcan_fd_files_DGS". 27 downloads already, I hope they're not disappointed...
No sir, I'm not disappointed. Thanks for the files, Degsy.

I swapped the air file for my PSS/JF Vulcan only had to replaced the [flight_tuning] section. The only other change I did was to reduce the elevator_effectiveness from 4.0 back to 1.0. No other changes were made to the initial aircraft.cfg. :cpu:

Thanks again.

--WH