Twin Pin!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Twin Pin!

Post by Trev Clark »

I am suprised that this is not up here yet, an upcoming Twin Pin for FSX from Rob Richardson! :welldone: :welldone:

It's still WIP, but do the side windows look deep enough to you? The VC looks the busioness, I wonder if FSX can model tail wheel shimmy, this aircraft often suffers from it!

ATB Trev

DelP
The Gurus

Re: Twin Pin!

Post by DelP »

Excellent :thumbsup:

Every time I come across the Twin Pin model I started years ago I say to myself that I must do something with it...saves me the bother :lol:

Is it authentic though?....my memory may be playing tricks but I'm sure the pilot of the Cov Twin Pin had to haul on a length of string to shut down the engines *-) :lol:

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Can't wait to have a go in this, nice to see something New and Classic British for FSX :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Having had the WIP for a week I am really enjoying it, Trev the windows are acceptable to me having looked at the sales brochure and umpteen photos if anything they are marginally too deep they should be approx 3/4 the depth of the cockpit side windows.

The tail shimmy I think is a non starter as there would be moans and groans and umpteen fixes to the FDE to stop the shimmy.

Del, there is a drawing in the brochure of the flight deck with a thing like a old toilet flush pull on each side wall these may well be your engine stoppers though there is no info in the drawing ! but I could see no evidence on external shots of string connecting to the engine cowls maybe the cable run was internal through fuelage and wings.

Philippine Airlines had 3 Twin pins in the 60's but they had the Pratt Witney's engines as there were a abundance of them here, one of the 3 crashed on circuits and bumps on a short field with obstructions at both ends, bringing a Fs 2002 scenery of that strip into FSX for STOL work.

Rob is doing a fine job on it and it will be a keeper for me despite the loose rivet in the top left corner of the port front cabin window, not much pressurizing and depressurizing so metal fatigue not a great problem.

Well done Rob.
Rich

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Thanks for the preview Rich, Rob is fast becoming a great freeware designer, each project is a leap over the previous one.

The tailwheel shimmy was a joke, it was my overiding memory of a Twin Pin flight. The guys on the flightdeck
fell about laughing as the whole aircraft vibrated like a washing machine on spin...on an un-even floor!
ATB Trev

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

The example at East Fortune isn't as pristine as the one depicted above.

Here are a few more pics:

http://www.oldprops.ukhome.net/Twin%20P ... graphs.htm
George

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

DelP wrote
Is it authentic though?....my memory may be playing tricks but I'm sure the pilot of the Cov Twin Pin had to haul on a length of string to shut down the engines
Derek your memory isn't playing tricks.A few years ago I had the great pleasure of a return flight from Cov to Duxford and remember quite clearly seeing the pilot reach up and pull on a length of cord or chain to shut down the engines.Magic! As I don't have FSX then unfortunately I won't be getting the Twin Pin.
ps I might have a few photos from that flight.If so I will post a few.ATB EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Some not too bright screenshots all carrying 3000 lb pay load on STOL take off's from clearings with 50 ft trees around, last 2 pics, cargo or passenger config at the flick of a switch

Rich

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Anyone who is interested there are some more shots of repaints that Peter Watkins is doing at http://www.classicbritishfiles.com

Gary Jones has just released his twin Alvis Leonides sound file at www.classicbritishfiles.com - it was made specifically for Rob's FSX Twin Pin
but works just as well with Mike Stones Fs9 version, Manfred Jahr's Pembroke and Peter Larkham's Concordia -- now if SOMEONE would make
an original Harold - we could have FOUR Leonides in close formation!!!

Enjoy

Leif

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Sounds a nice but no bang start, pilots notes for the single pin has Coffman starter only mentioned and the sales brochure for the Twin Pin has the standard series 1 with Coffman starter as standard though customers could specify electric starters, could'nt find pilots notes for RAF Twin Pin so no idea what the RAF had fitted but suspect Coffman.
Rich