FSX reinstall issue, help please !!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Seaking
VC10
VC10

FSX reinstall issue, help please !!

Post by Seaking »

Have to hdd's on my system, the one with all my fsx on it gave out the other day and was replaced by a new one. I have cleaned out all remnants of fsx from my system, cleaned out all reg entries to the old drive and fsx, searched through the registry several times, there is nothing in there for fsx any longer.

When I go to install it keeps taking me to the repair or uninstall option, there is nothing to repair or uninstall. I have tried clicking on both, just tells it's only for installed game ???
I've been at it for a few hours now, for some reason it won't even install from my installed dvd drive and it's all working, it will only show from my external dual layer dvd drive.
I can't think what it's still seeing on my system or where to look, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. All windows 7 running fine that drive is almost new.

Thanks

tango234
Viscount
Viscount

Re: FSX reinstall issue, help please !!

Post by tango234 »

Try uninstalling it and then start from scratch.

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Thanks for that Darren, I have got that bookmarked. My issue though is that there is "nothing" left on my system of FSX, I've gone through the system a dozen times
I'm stumped as to what in the install of FSX what file it's finding to think I already have it installed. It will only give me the repair or uninstall page, clicking on either of them
tells you it's not installed.

I got rid of all the reg entries to fsx and the old drive. Still won't let me install from my installed dvd, will only run from my external drive. I have tried running the setup file
as an admin..........got the same thing.

I've googled it for hours, I can't seem to find if there's some hidden encrypted file Microsoft puts somewhere so it can't be found that it's still pointing to. I'm still searching.

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Few things to try.

Turn off User Access Control (search UAC in control panel) - so that you do not need to run any programme as Admin for it to run.

Have a look at this, Im not sure if it will help but it might be able to search the registry for anything you may have missed because it doesn't contain your searched criteria - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Regi ... lity.shtml

"Many FSX applications and their installers depend on knowing the path to the fsx.exe as reported in the Windows Registry. But what if the registry entry has been corrupted or deleted when reinstalling Windows? Manually copying the FSX folder to another folder or drive will also invalidate the registry entry. This may in some cases prevent an FSX add-on from working correctly and require a reinstall of FSX. The FSX Reg Utility was designed especially for users with custom setups or who manually copied the FSX installation to another folder or drive and reformatted their drives, but want to retain their FSX installation with all its add-ons. Using this utility avoids the need to reinstall FSX and allows you to restore the path in the registry quickly and easily in the case that you are not confident editing the Registry yourself.

Here are some key features of "FSX Registry Utility":

· Reports the FSX path in the Windows Registry
· Repairs the FSX path in the Windows Registry
· Handles both LOCAL_MACHINE and CURRENT_USER root registry keys
· Checks the path to make sure the fsx.exe file is present
· Warns if the registry path is missing
· Sets the registry path(s) to the fsx.exe file
· Sets the registry path(s) to the CD-ROM drive
· Warns if the fsx.exe is not in folder on clicking the "Set" button
· Avoids the need to reinstall FSX in the event of registry corruption
· Automatically searches for the FSX Reg key in the Windows RegEdit program"

Another here - http://flyawaysimulation.com/article1851.html

Some forum info here - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/221118-fsx ... y-problem/

Maybe combined they will help?

Other than that I'm not sure.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Many thanks, I'll check those links out, Yep already tried that untility tool for the fsx registry that didn't work either because there's no sim installed anywhere. Bloody thing is
driving me to beer.

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Could I suggest that you try and locate Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) and install that. Go into your C:\Program Files\Windows Installer Clean Up and click on the program icon. It should launch and provide a list of the programs installed. Scroll through and find FSX if possible. If there, remove from the lsit and you should be able to resinstall FSX.

I did and managed to reinstall FSX by removing it from the list in the program mentioned above.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

THanks for that AD, yes did that as well, when the list came up FSX was not there, this is what has me stumped. There is nothing of FSX installed on my system
but it's still seeing "something" on my system telling it it's still there. I've scoured the internet searching for an answer, there was one guy who said he finally found
the encrypted "hidden" registry entry but never stated it's file name.

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Hi,

Perhaps a clue here?

Rgds,

Colin

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

I guess if you can't find the FSX folder (edit/open - config files for info) move all the folders from there into a temp folder, do the install. It might create a new folder in there of the same name so delete the duplicate in the temp folder and move all the rest back?