Hovercraft - The big one!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Hovercraft - The big one!

Post by Chris558 »

Somehow, I came across Hovercrafts on the net, and found the really big one that used to cross the channel.

I found out it was the SRN4 - Saunders Roe - (Ahh, Aircraft manufacturer) - Nautical 4. As Saunders Roe built the Princess Flying boat, it's probably not surprising that they chose the (Marine) Proteus turbine to power the huge SRN4 (also used in the Britannia.)

They've been out of service for 11 years now, I really would have liked to have experienced this huge awesome beast; 57 metres long, with that Proteus roar, and those 4 huge props...spectacular!!

Ah well, its on the 'tube' and also available on DVD...play it loud!!....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zq_lvSnZiY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyq0M4Wh ... re=related

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Hovercraft - The big one!

Post by Paul K »

Great vids Chris.

The comment that it took a ton of fuel to reach France raised an eyebrow- do they know how many tons of fuel the average ferry consumes over the same distance ?

Enjoyed the French fans of ze 'overcraft ! You English are so cleverrr - you make ze bread to fit ze cheese!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to snigger at that Paul :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Thanks for posting the video links. I enjoyed watching the videos.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Paul K wrote:Enjoyed the French fans of ze 'overcraft ! You English are so cleverrr - you make ze bread to fit ze cheese!
My Texan ears are definitely picking up just a bit of a French accent. Are you sure there's not something you want to tell us...Paul from "Cambridge"? *-) ;)

Brian

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I travelled on it a couple of times and the vibration was horrendous.
George

glen
Meteor
Meteor

Post by glen »

I remember a couple of trips across the channel on them also took a Polish friend down to Dover Castle when she was over here as an au pair I didn't realise it but it was the last day of flights and we watched one of the flight depart, it was an amazing sight watching and hearing those engines start up, even she was inmpressed.

It seems sad now when you visit the hovercraft museum to walk through them with no life in them.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

FlyTexas wrote:My Texan ears are definitely picking up just a bit of a French accent. Are you sure there's not something you want to tell us...Paul from "Cambridge"? *-) ;)

Brian
:dunno: ( a distinctly Gallic shrug )

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Think I've mentioned this before... the 'Super 4's' weren't modified in the 'Columbine' hangar at Cowes; that was too full of BHC7's being made for Iranian Navy at the time; so they had to be done upriver at Falcon works; but could only come up there on spring tide when there was enough space for a SRN 4 to get past the Cowes-East Cowes chain ferry.

The first Super 4 coming out for sea trials made us all late for school that morning!

Saunders-Roe; the company formed by Sam Saunders and Sir Alliott Verdon-Roe (after the latter had lost control of 'AVRO') made quite a few interesting projects... if you want a little light reading get the book 'From Sea to Air; the legacy of Sam Saunders'; and its companion volume, 'From River to Sea' both by Wheeler and Tagg; then cry at the lack of forethought which closed down the British lead in commercial satellites. (google 'Black Knight' and 'Prospero')

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

:lol: :lol:

Done that more than once, not an experience I would recommend :lol:

The vibration is horrendous, luckily the crews are experienced at spotting pale faces and delivering paper bags :thumbsup:

Derek ;)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals