Red Arrows Pilot injured at Scampton

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

John
Concorde
Concorde

Red Arrows Pilot injured at Scampton

Post by John »

This is a bit of an odd one!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15640104

Anyone know anymore?

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Red Arrows Pilot injured at Scampton

Post by DaveG »

Now saying he's died

Bad year for the Reds.

My codolencies to friends & family.
Dave G.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

According to the Red's site, there was a "ground incident" in which the "pilot was ejected" from the aircraft. Reading between the lines- accidental ejection or malfunction of the ejection seat. Either way, the pilot wouldn't be ready to eject and may not have had everything properly set for it. Really sad accident.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I reading arround the parachute failed to open after a ground ejection :(
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Sadly the pilot has now died

john
never give up, never surrender

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Garry Russell wrote:I reading arround the parachute failed to open after a ground ejection :(
Speaking on a technical note, not necessarily related to today's incident, and using my very basic knowledge of bang seats from a few years back... If a seat isn't "operated" as such, ie the mechanics of the seat aren't activated by pulling the handle (for instance an inadvertent firing of the seat rockets for whatever reason - of which I suppose there potentially are many), then there's every chance that'll happen, along with all the other "automatic" services of the seat, so potentially not activating MDC in the canopy, so it doesn't shatter etc.

What a horrible year for the Reds, and so soon after the memorial service for Jon Egging.

Nasty business.

RIP.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

One can take some comfort from the fact the pilot would not have known a great deal about what happened. I noted from the shots shown on the evening news that the rear of the canopy wasn't covered, as such, and looked intact. I've no first hand knowledge of how the bang seat system works on a Hawk.. if it's just the frangible bit in the middle or if the entire canopy blows too but if as HC says.. an inadvertant/accidental firing occurs and all components of what should be a controlled event are not in place, the chute not opening may not have had any real impact on what was already a damn poor situation. :(

This sort of thing highlights how dangerous flying fast jets is.. as if any highlight were necessary. Sincere condolences to all involved.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

As with many British aircraft that use Martin Baker seats like the Hawk, the canopy plexiglass is actually shattered during the ejection sequence by Mono Det Chord (MDC) so the canopy being in place isn't much because whether shattered by the MDC or the seat and pilot going through it, the plexi would be the only thing gone.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

It'll be interesting to find out if he was solo in the aircraft, (quite possible as the rear canopy not shattered & the pictures on TV show the ejection gun expanded through the front canopy) or whether he was practising an emergency egress & subsequently tripped and operated the handle. Operating the harness release should not (in theory) operate the drogue gun ( although it did on the Harrier ejection when it flew on alone).
Anyone know if the rocket pack fired - it should have done after about 3' of movement?
Keith

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Dev One wrote:Anyone know if the rocket pack fired - it should have done after about 3' of movement?
Keith
Looking at one of the pictures published there appears to be scorch marks on the fusalage side

Look at 5th picture down
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... mpton.html

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.