S-1 Bucc

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Noddy
Viscount
Viscount

S-1 Bucc

Post by Noddy »

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: S-1 Bucc

Post by TSR2 »

Thats a fab shot Noddy. :thumbsup:

Just had her up this morning as it happens. Do you find her a bit light on thrust?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Nice shot Noddy!

Re the thrust, the S1 is down ~8000lbs of thrust compared to the S2, which is equivalent to another engine! The other problem is that's it's the wrong sort of thrust, a small mass at high velocity as opposed to the larger slower mass of the S2, propulsion is most efficient when the speed of the mass coming out the back is the same as the speed the aircraft is going through the air which is why the S1 suffers at slow speed.

The acceleration is within ~5% of the figures in the Operating Data Manual I managed to get hold off, off the top of my head it indicates 2 minutes to get to 2000' by which point you should be doing 400kts. Once you hit 400kts/M0.82 she starts to come alive and you can maintain the lower of those values up to ~30,000' with the climb needle pegged up to around 22,000'

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Oh yes low on power! Uses nearly all of Waddington RWY when loaded fully...

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

SkippyBing wrote:Nice shot Noddy!

Re the thrust, the S1 is down ~8000lbs of thrust compared to the S2, which is equivalent to another engine! The other problem is that's it's the wrong sort of thrust, a small mass at high velocity as opposed to the larger slower mass of the S2, propulsion is most efficient when the speed of the mass coming out the back is the same as the speed the aircraft is going through the air which is why the S1 suffers at slow speed.

The acceleration is within ~5% of the figures in the Operating Data Manual I managed to get hold off, off the top of my head it indicates 2 minutes to get to 2000' by which point you should be doing 400kts. Once you hit 400kts/M0.82 she starts to come alive and you can maintain the lower of those values up to ~30,000' with the climb needle pegged up to around 22,000'
Cheers Skip,

Actually that explains alot. I was forgetting that its an S1 and how very different they were to the S2. Its funny, i was looking at the instuctions etc to find out if I was doing something wrong with the thrust response. The answer was I WAS doing something wrong, I was forgeeting its an S1 :wall:

Apologies matey ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Noddy
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Noddy »

Yes the end of the runway comes up very quickly in the S-1.

A lovely model.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

All I can say is that all RN Bucc S1 pilots should have been given the DSO for even sitting in one let alone flying it :lol: I used to think the default F18 was 'flighty' but having spent a couple of hours trying to fathom pwr settings on the S1.. I changed to the F18 and did a couple of greasers onto Ark Royal.. something I've never managed in the F18 before :guinn:
TBH.. I don't like the lack of power much, however realistic it is. I'll wait patiently for an S2 thank you ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

A low pass at St Michael's Mount.

:)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Nice composition :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

511Flyer wrote:A low pass at St Michael's Mount.
:)

Cool image!

Where is that St Michael's Mount scenery from? It looks a little 'dry' but would certainly make my Mounts Bay look a lot better!