AI problem

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

AI problem

Post by paul26may »

I have been using AIFP in FS9 for some time with little difficulty. In the main I have used non AI models like DM's 1-11s, Comets etc and HJG and Captain Sim 707, DC8s etc. and they have worked fine for what I wanted to achieve. However, last week after watching Dr Strangelove for the umpteenth time, I decided to try my hand at creating B52 flights around the northern US - Minot, Thule and the like. I also got a little ambitious and tried to create a long multi-leg flight (with several aircraft) from Thule to Guam via Barksdale, Miramar and Hickham. From this point on things started to go wrong. Aircraft not showing up at departure points and only being able to see them enroute. I tried to do the same with my PSS Vulcan from EGJX to Diego Garcia and sometimes they would appear enroute (and nowhere else) but most of the time not at all! Eventually after spending hours reloading flightplans and aircraft etc I did a complete uninstall/reinstall thinking that there was perhaps a bug somewhere in my FS9 set up. Even that hasn't worked although I can still program the 707s, DC8s as above. Incidentally, during this mayhem I went from AIFP version 2.1.25 to 2.1.27. What's going on? :S

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: AI problem

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul :hello:

Dear me.. a bad state of affairs having done an uninstall/re-install :(

I don't think I'm going to be able to give you anything worthwhile to go on as I'm no 'Pro' with AI but there are things you can check. Aircraft not appearing.. do the afcads you're using have suitable AI parking for that sort of aircraft.. any sort of aircraft? Many look fine and show parking but unless they have 'correct' access to and from the runway, odd stuff will happen. Aircraft will be parked.. lights come on and at the time for departure, they'll disappear. Likewise, flights going to such airports will also play up. You may see them in-flight but they won't be able to land. If default aircraft fly too and from the airports you're using, the afcad should be ok.

Timings are also critical. Make sure the model you're using will achieve the speed you've set in the flightplan.. too fast or too slow and you may hit problems.

What else.. well, while I sit here and my mind is going blank.. there must be a handful more reasons why you're seeing this happen but none of them point to a bug in FS9 as far as I can see. Some models just don't like being AI and that has to be expected. Use of bog standard airfiles (B737 for example) often get around this with jets and similar can be done with other 'like' default models.. all of which will work as AI. Fingers crossed it's something simple but I know problems like this can often leave you not being able to see the wood for the trees.

EDIT: I've looked for EGJX (as an example) and don't have it in my stock scenery so can't check the afcad but I do have Diego Garcia (FJDG) and this doesn't have parking. Both airports must be able to support AI aircraft in order for the plan to work. Unfortunately, if you don't check parking is available, your AIFP probably won't. I use Afcad and that doesn't. As long as an airport is in the database, you can plan to fly it. However, your aircraft may not take off or indeed land ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

My AI B-52 has a radius of 30m. You need a parking space of at least that size to see it parked.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. that's one of the things I meant by asking if the airport has suitable parking for the type. It certainly won't land if it doesn't have the space :)

I've looked at the stock afcads for all those airports you mention.. Thule/BGTL has no parking, Guam/PGUM does have parking, Miramar/KNKX has no parking and Hickam.. I don't have it as such.. FS9 doesn't recognise PHIK, the closest being Honolulu Intl/PHNL which does have parking. So.. on the surface, it was a good plan. The airports are in the database so the plan would be accepted but looking at the airfields in afcad, it was never going to work I'm afraid. You can always add parking and the associated paths to and from the runways if you so wish so all is not lost ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

paul26may
Lightning
Lightning

Post by paul26may »

Thanks for the replies Dave and GHD.
I am a little late in coming back to Dave's first post and should have mentioned earlier that I did revamp all the airfields listed with ADE and added military combat parking and the necessary taxi ways. After posting my original message I programmed a B52 to depart KORD bound for Thule. At the departure time there it was leaving the gate but God only knows where it went because I fast forwarded to the ETA at Thule and ...nothing! In the same file set I had a VC10 departing Thule for KJFK and guess what....nothing happened! Since then however I have set up another flight plan with 6 x B52s going from KTRM to KSAN one after the other and it works! The thing about the 30m might be worth checking though.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Rgr that Paul ;)

It gave me an excuse to open Afcad again and I was stuck for things to do so no problemo :thumbsup: For sure.. check the parking radius at the revamped airfields. Also.. I'd get something simple to fly them (if possible) to check your parking works ok. No reason to doubt it but if you see it working, you'll know it does :)
There's no way a VC10 should disappear or not be able to land at JFK. Perhaps there's something you've missed at Thule *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

On the face of it, this looks like a repeat period issue. *-)

Build the flightplan up one leg at at time, and see at what point they stop showing up and that will pinpoint your problem
:)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Showing m y ignorance, but where is EGJX?

If I had it, I could check the AFCAD, and try and create the suggested flight. I've had the Vulcan flying as AI with no problem.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Filonian wrote:Showing m y ignorance, but where is EGJX?

If I had it, I could check the AFCAD, and try and create the suggested flight. I've had the Vulcan flying as AI with no problem.

Graham
How about Cottesmore (EGXJ) ?
George

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

GHD wrote:
Filonian wrote:Showing m y ignorance, but where is EGJX?

Graham
How about Cottesmore (EGXJ) ?

Have just finished some flight plans of my own, during which the light came on, JX? XJ?

You beat me to it George :lol:

Just had a quick look, and the stock FSX is very rudimentary to say the least - no parking - which would explain the no show of aircraft etc.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.