A very small part of...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

A very small part of...

Post by petermcleland »

Alaska in MS FLIGHT...These shots are from the small area surrounding the location of my airfield in FS9, so I guess only those who have flown from McLeland Field will be familiar with this terrain:-

This little island with a bit of beach is in the bay at the end of the Russell Fjord where my base in FS9 used to be.

Anyone who flew from my airport will recognise those mountains, but might miss the windfarm.

Taking off now to look at familiar sights.

The water in the bay is now very beautiful.

There is Mountain Lake...Notice that the trees all have shadows!

...and here is Russell Fjord.

The Mountains are very nicely textured.

I'm heading up the Russell to view a glacier and will be forking left up ahead (see the map).

My objective is just coming into sight ahead and this shot also shows the texturing of the shoreline.

That is the Hubbard Glacier ahead with its foot in the fjord (it has been known to close off Russell Fjord in the past and turn it temporarily into Russell Lake).

Here is the Hubbard Glacier...Some Cruise ships come in this far to show the passengers icebergs "calving off".

I'm just landing here to...

...park up for a while.

Thanks for looking :fly:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: A very small part of...

Post by Garry Russell »

Very Nice Peter :)

Thanks for that
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

People always go on an on about the realistic water effects, but to me they always look way out of scale.
Alex

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks for posting those, Peter. It looks pretty good to me but I think Holger Sandmann's scenery for FS9 looks better. I know you use that and have seen it more recently than I have so you are in a better position to make a comparison.

It does seem very deserted without McLeland Field and all the associated activity! You'd better get back to it soon or those layabouts will have let the schedules go to pot. You know what they're like when the manager's away :lol:

Ian :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I walked and climbed for a while at Juneau...Here are three shots:-

Thanks for looking :fly:

BTW...I'm flying this tour VFR and using the Map App on my iPad...I have it in front of me on a keyboard shelf and orientate the map by just turning the iPad. As I fly down a route I just drag with a finger to move the map along or use two fingers to zoom in or out. The mapping is Google's satellite imagery and I'm finding that MS Flight is very accurate :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vancouver wrote:People always go on an on about the realistic water effects, but to me they always look way out of scale.
I agree, and its an old problem. No disrespect Peter, but in picture 5, from that height and distance, you shouldn't be able to see even a ripple on that lake. Its exactly the same in FSX, where I've had to turn the water effects right down. Otherwise, it can appear that you have Atlantic-scale rollers on sheltered and inland bodies of water. Its something they never got even remotely right, IMHO.

Interesting seeing what the whole thing is like, and being kept abreast of developments. :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Well I think the water is fabulous and one way to become very impressed with it is to taxy the Icon the whole length of Dangerous River at about 6 knots...A wonderful experience. I did the same in Holger's version in FS9 with Bill's Motor Launch and while he had incorporated the rapids section which FLIGHT doesn't, I found the whole experience in FLIGHT far superior and an extremely pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

You point to picture 5 which is Mountain Lake and I agree that from that distance the waves look massive, but this is not how they are when you get closer and land on it, so it must be some sort of distance scaling error.

The important thing about this water is that it is 3D and moves and that looks really great but unfortunately there is only one way to see that and it involves the Sun. For the best effect go to the default Free Camera (first press of your stick change view button from the VC and then use the UP direction of your hat switch to get the camera slightly higher than the aircraft and then use the left or right direction on the hat switch to pan round to the best direction to see the water highlights path towards the Sun...Now watch the water move...Fabulous!...Nothing has ever looked that good in any other simulator :)

Note...A very good height to watch that motion is about 50 to 100 feet.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

While I don't intend in any shape or form to attempt to spoil anyones enjoyment of Flight, the water doesn't look any different to me from what you see in FSX so I can only echo Paul's comment. I've always been impressed with the water in FSX.. not saying that it actually looks real but, when compared with water in FS9.. it is far more realistic. I seem to remember basys making a post some time ago stating that the water in FSX is exactly the same as the water in FS9 (that is, the tiles are the same) but FSX enables greater definition (my apologies if I'm mis-quoting).

While I can't see anything (or have not seen anything) from Flight that I can't get from FSX, let that not detract from what Flight IS and what it attempts to achieve. Many of us thought that FSX was more a 'game' than a sim. Flight takes FSX one step further.. perhaps what was intended all along ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

As an aside, the water in P3D looks very nice, now I don't know if if is exactly the same as FSX or not, I cannot compare as I have modified my FSX so much there cannot be much of the original left. Lol.
Ultimately whatever you enjoy is what matters.
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Exactly mate :thumbsup:

The stock water in FS9 is poo to be honest but better than what came before. I've changed mine many times to get an improvement. Initially, I thought the water in FSX was stunning by comparison to FS9 but it does have it's limitations as mentioned above. Also, I find the highest setting carries a fair old frame hit so it's cranked down to give a compromise. Peter has the advantage of running an i7 system so is not as prone to such compromises ;)

How far we've come from FS5.. my first toe dip into flightsim!

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!