Touchpilot...

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Touchpilot...

Post by petermcleland »

I got this working very nicely on my iPad today and mapped to MS FLIGHT...I will also map it to FS9. It communicates wirelessly.

http://touchpilot.net/touch-pilot-one/

There is a nice video of it working with FSX if you scroll down a bit.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Touchpilot...

Post by DaveB »

Whatever next :-O

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Nice! :agree:

I see it's available for iPad and Android but I wonder if they have any plans to port it over to the Blackberry Playbook?

I would be after it like a terrier after a rat if they did! :lol:
Larry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Cheers Peter. Just downloaded it - a nice bargain at £2.99! I'll try it out tomorrow.

I imagine you'll have that app open along with google maps and just use a four finger swipe to toggle them?

Ian :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

speedbird591 wrote:Cheers Peter. Just downloaded it - a nice bargain at £2.99! I'll try it out tomorrow.

I imagine you'll have that app open along with google maps and just use a four finger swipe to toggle them?
Well I use the iPad map app which is Google based for now and yes, the four finger swipe to toggle from one to the other...I LOVE my iPad :agree:

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

:Dance: Like the look of that Peter, how easy was it to set up? *-)
Can it be configured, or is it what you see only on the screen control wise?
I'm thinking about multiple engine aircraft controls etc

Thanks for posting about it too, really caught my eye.
:fly:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

dswanson
Trident
Trident

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

Will it work on an Ipod too ? a little small perhaps
Regards,

Degsy

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

dswanson wrote:Hi,

Will it work on an Ipod too ? a little small perhaps
From the FAQ:-
Q: Can I use Touch Pilot One on my phone?

A: While it is theoretically possible, it would be rather impractical. The buttons would be too small to accurately press on a phone’s small screen. For this reason, we have not made Touch Pilot One available on phones.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

gordon-in-aberdeen wrote::Dance: Like the look of that Peter, how easy was it to set up? *-)
Can it be configured, or is it what you see only on the screen control wise?
I'm thinking about multiple engine aircraft controls etc
Here is how it looks on my iPad:-

You configure it by using the Controls > Attributions screen in FS...It is seen by FS as another joystick and you just make the attributions as normal for the buttons there are 32 buttons available on this virtual joystick as well as its three axis...The three axis are allocated to the Throttle, RPM and Mixture sliders in the bottom left panel.

The AUX PANEL above it has four buttons that you can allocate to auxilliary panels that you would nornally call from the keyboard with SHIFT+Number.

The lights panel is self explanatory but I've found that the easiest way to use it is to switch ALL on with the ON/OFF button and then turn off the ones that you don't want..

Flaps you allocate a button each for increment UP and increment DOWN.

Elevator Trim is also two buttons you allocate the forward end of the wheel to nose down and the rear end to nose up. Touching either end will apply a small amount of trim but dragging the wheel round with your finger will use the repeat function of the key...This is too fast for my taste and I will drag the little repeat slider in the Attributions Screen to about halfway and see how that is.

I have not programmed the Aileron and Rudder Trim.

The COMM panel is just a set of number keys already allocated for Answering ATC which you would normally do by pressing a number key at the top of the keyboard.

If you fly a multi-engined aircraft then I expect all the engines will throttle with the throttle slider unless you do the "E" thing to indicate which engine to adjust.

You install in the iPad directly from the App Store and you download the "Touch Pilot Server" to install in your PC...You run the Server on your PC then call the App on your iPad and they link automatically by Wifi.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I've set mine up and done a quick flight in a Cessna. It worked exactly as advertised and is very well designed and executed.

Not criticisms but a couple of reservations. It's not always obvious that you have pressed the button as there is no feedback and no click noise. The button does illuminate but you have to be looking at it and your finger is covering it anyway. A couple of times the button press didn't work and I didn't realise until the wrong configuration caused flying problems. I then started to check visually whether the action had occurred.

The main benefit would be to save space on the desk by hiding the keyboard. But as I use a laptop I ended up laying the iPad on top of the keyboard, which is a bit pointless :lol:

It's a lovely tool and beautifully made but I don't think it really offers me any benefits. What I'd really like is a Garmin GPS for the iPad to link to FS. Maybe, one day.

Thanks for the heads up, Peter.

Ian :)