I've killed my PC today

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

I've killed my PC today

Post by tonymadge »

So I did my usual of f**king up a perfectly good PC, I didnt know how easy it was :'(
I have ordered a new CPU to replace the present one, I decided to update the BIOS using the onboard software and installed the latest BIOS so the PC would recognise the new CPU. however upon restart I got this message \Windows\system32\c_850.nls Missing
I have tried shorting the CMOS out so that the bios is default, however this message is not moving. Windows wont start and I am stuffed, I have put the XP Pro cd in and now doing a check disk repair, but I hold out little hope.....
I think the problem might be the wrong revision of motherboard BIOS to what revision I have... I feel very silly :$
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: I've killed my PC today

Post by TSR2 »

If its getting as far as booting Windows, its unlikely (although not impossible) to be hardware. ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

No it stops after the bios etc and just before it hits windows. It worked perfectly till I restarted after installing the new bios

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

try doing a side install, that is reinstall XP to a different folder, e.g. c:\Windows.TEST and see if that will boot. If it does it because the original XP install has some setting or other for the boot area that has changed after updating the BIOS. This won't damage any of the existing files. ;)

ImageImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Cheers Ben, I am wondering if I had put the wrong bios in how would that mess up windows?
Ok side install... normally the windows cd wants to format a drive first, can that be avoided so I can do what you say?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Tony,

Its been a while since I installed XP, but from memory the first thing it will do is detect the existing installation. If it doesn't do this then stop. If it does do this, it should ask you if you want to do a new install or an upgrade, select new install and I think it says where would you like to install Windows, just change whatever it displays (Possibly c:\Windows.000 to C:\Windows.temp and after that its as though it were a clean install.

If the motherboard manufacturer is anyway decent (and gigabyte are) you can't easily install the wrong BIOS as it checks to see if the board is compatible before it installs.

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I feel for you mate.. I've done this before. You wonder why something so easy can go so wrong :( Hopefully, Ben's suggestions will get you out of the mire ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

cheers Ben I will give this a go :)

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

The good news is its all working again! I put the cd in and did the repair bit asking it check disk and repair, eventually (as it was a large disk) it finished, rebooted and bingo back where I started a working windows. Plus the bios I put in was the right one I found out by looking at revision pics my board is the first version. Anyway it has the lastest bios so I shouldn't need to go through that again! I put the clock back to the factory setting of 3.1Ghz so it will be interesting to see how it will run after running at 3.6Ghz, I tried COD4 and it did have the odd pause which was hardly noticeable before. I am putting in a proper 4 core Phenom the 965 it clocks at 3.4Ghz and will go higher but I think at 3.4 it will be enough for me and those extra two cores should be ideal for the video stuff etc. I got it for £70 which isnt an expensive upgrade as I can keep motherboard memory etc.
No the fun of fitting it when it comes along with that power supply that was exchanged and sat in my garage for 12 months! ( The old one was working and I couldnt be bothered to swap it)

Thanks for your help Ben, I knew if I got stuck this was the place to come to ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Glad you're running again mate :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!