Pompey ships

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Pompey ships

Post by GHD »

Prompted by Dave, I added a few ships to Portsmouth. A few Fearlesses, Invincible and Victorious. Unfortunately it brings my XP system to its knees :((

George

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Pompey ships

Post by DaveB »

Oh dear George :lol:

Just got back from work (what a curse when you're doing something interesting at home) :lol: You only ever need one of each Fearless and Intrepid as we only had the two so that'll save your frames a bit ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Looking much more like it should! Lovely stuff George. I've been trying to track down some of my AI ships and I'll be buggered if I can find Glamorgan. I can't remember where I had her going now :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Excellent, George. Just the sort of thing I need to populate Pompey dockyard in the Lightning sim! ;)
Pete

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

Try this for carrier traffic. It leaves Portsmouth on the odd hours and Southampton on the even.

Note. The ship silhouettes in Gen-X are considered as land so AI ships will not pass over them.

Soton start:

Pompey finish:

A tip for following AI ships. Land on the deck and set the parking brakes. You can run at 4x speed.

Last edited by GHD on 11 Mar 2013, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks for the tip on the silhouettes, that will explain why some of my AI shipping disappears! I'll need to re work that. Haven't had the sim up at all the past few days as been doing family stuff and visiting the wicked witch of Bridlington tomorrow, Friday is going to be an FS day :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers George :thumbsup: I think we need the good folk at Getmapping to do another overflight of Pompey with the jetties void of shipping :lol:

EDIT: Just sailed into Pompey harbour for the first time in a good few years :lol: A bit tight getting around the turn by Dolphin and I nearly lost the Sycamore off the arse end a few times at x4 but nicely done George ;) RW, there are of course deep water channels so no need for handbrake turns but for the sim.. that's fine :thumbsup:

Not being able to berth over ship silhouettes is a bit of a bind but nowt can be done about that. As Ben has said, it would explain why his shipping bgls often had disappearing ships :lol: That would also explain why Hermes either docked 'bow on' the few times I've seen her in Pompey!

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

There is another problem with AI ships. If the water is not flat :wasntme: the ship will slide off the berth.

This is what happened with the Gosport Ferry so I added a flatten.

http://www.geo-davison.demon.co.uk/GosportFerry.zip

Remove trafficGOS.bgl

The ferry leaves Pompey at quarter past the hour and from Gosport at quarter to.

Note. There is a long push-back on the Portsmouth side, I can't see how to fix this.

I'll have a word with Simon Swallow to see whether I can distribute the re-sited statics.
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I like that.. if the water isn't flat :lol: I had a feeling this is why I never saw Rick's SRN4 leaping across the channel.. it was generally beached at Ramsgate :( Another thought I had the other day was to try and get a hovercraft to go from Southsea to the IoW but the same thing applies. If you added a flatten at Southsea, it'd look mighty odd :( Never mind.. it's nice to be able to squeeze what can be squeezed out the sim 'as is' ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya George :)

I've sat and watched the Gosport Ferry for an hour now.. took me a while to find a sim speed it would take without disappearing.. x2 being the speed I settled on. You've made it go the long way around mate. Is that to avoid the obstructions in the harbour (there are a few silhouettes up that end)?? The real one goes along that track I posted.. shortest route from A to B 'n all that but if this is the only way it can be done, no problemo. :)

This makes me sound a bit ungrateful and I'm not, honest :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage