Windows 8.1

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Windows 8.1

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

Just a quick heads up on Windows 8.1. I installed it yesterday (that is the pre-release TechNet version). I'm pretty used to Windows 8 now and there are several things in 8.1 which I just don't see the point of. Libraries have gone, although you can bring them back of a fashion which is messy as hell. Offline files and folders don't work as they should either. Yes there is a start button, but all it does is exactly the same as moving your mouse to the bottom left hand corner of the screen did in Win8. so all they have done is put an icon in that corner. Waste of time. IE11 is nice and has many of the features that should have really been in IE10. In short I'm going back to Windows 8 and I'll watch to see if they sort 8.1 out as Win 8 is much better (IMHO)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Windows 8.1

Post by DaveG »

Think I'll be sticking with 7 a bit longer then :lol:
Dave G.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Another point to prove that XP was as good as it gets ;)
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Windows 3.11 for Workgoups for me!

Nev

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

I don't like Windows 8 let alone 8.1, so I'll be sticking with 7.

Whoever designed it must either be colour blind or mad. Live Tiles is a confused mess (below) the MS tiles are horrible solid colours with white icons on them, but the non-MS items are full colour. It's a user friendly nightmare. And if they haven't got the basics right on 8.1. What with this furious back peddling and again with the Xbox One they aren't having the best of times.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

As someone who is still on a) XP b) FS9 and a pc which is now7 or 8 years old, I read threads such as this with a degree of unease.Come next spring when support for XP ceases, I'm going to have to make decision. For general internet purposes virtually all my online time is now on the iPad.If I stick with a pc I'm going to have to deal with a new operating system, a change to FSX or P3D and purchase or repurchase a number of add ons. I presume that there's no reason why I can't stick with FS9 but I'm not sure that it's going to be worth all the hassle and expense to,in effect,maintain the status quo.
At the moment I'm not sure whether next year will see the end of FS for me.Does anyone have thoughts or observations on this? *-) EricT
Last edited by Tomliner on 27 Jun 2013, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Looks like a teenagers bedroom... A feckin mess.

this bring back memories......

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

At the moment I'm not sure whether next year will see the end of FS for me.Does anyone have thoughts or observations on this?
To be honest if you've got a half decent anti-virus on the PC and mainly use an iPad to get on-line anyway then I doubt the end of MS support for XP will affect you in any way.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I mainly use a laptop win7 (setup to be as near to XP as possible) for internet use. My main PC which is used for graphic work and FS uses XP but rarely uses the internet. I also have a full package of Webroot secure anywhere running. So I will stay as I am for some time yet ;)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

It looks imo like something to amuse children, I'm reminded of that early 80's toy called Simon.
Alex