Probable Scam

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Probable Scam

Post by simondix »

Just a word of warning and pass it on if you wish. In my Junk File today I had a E-Mail from the' Royal Mail Group' re Lost/Missing package. I did not open it and suggest if anybody else gets one not to as it is probably a scam. I am totally unaware of any missing packages so I don't know how the can know.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Probable Scam

Post by Dev One »

On the other hand there was a La Poste lorry that was transporting parcels in the Bordeaux region that caught fire & most parcels were lost last week.
Keith

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

On a similar note I got an email a couple of weeks ago supposedly from HM Revenue and Taxes complete with a very authentic looking logo. Allegedly they were offering me a rebate on my tax return for last year and that I should contact them at the provided email address ASAP to sort out the issue.

It made me chuckle seeing as I haven't filed any UK taxes in over 21 years and a little detective work revealed the email address was based in Chile!

Needless to say I hit it with the 'delete' button immediately after reading it. :lol:
Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I've had one of those recently too Larry and like you.. it got a swift boot to the bin via Mailwasher.

Also had one recently from a 'known' carrier.. can't remember if it was UPS but it was someone like that.. saying I wasn't in for my parcel to be delivered. I hadn't ordered anything and the link posted in the email didn't look like anything from a carrier so it too got the boot.

There's always some tw@t trying it on. May they burn in hell :rant:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

There is another undelivered parcel scam which asks you to call an 09xx number which charges at extortionate rates. Quite why ofcom or whoever is supposed to regulate these matters has not insisted on the telephone providers barring these numbers escapes me

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Nah. Your all paranoid. :)

The other day I was offered 85,000 Ugandan dollars.

An inheritance from some distant relative I didn't know I had.

All they needed was my bank details. :wasntme:

Should be landing in my account any day now... :hide:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What would we do without these Ugandan bank officials looking after our interests. I wonder if anyone has been foolish enough to fall for that one? I bet some poor unsuspecting sod has :(

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I don't know how anyone could be taken in:

Mail - Lost / Missing package - UK Customs and Border Protection

Royal Mail has detained your package for some reason (for example, lack of a proper invoice, bill of sale, or other documentation, a possible trademark violation, or if the package requires a formal entry) the RM International Mail Branch holding it will notify you of the reason for detention (in writing) and how you can get it released.

Please fulfil the documents attached.
George

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I've had several emails recently from an elderly childless widowed lady. She's a born again Christian and was married to the Ivory Coast's ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
She doesn't want the millions her husband accumulated to go to her godless relatives and wants me to arrange for the money to go to a good church based charity.

The story is really quite inventive and I enjoyed it a lot.

A guy I know did fall for a phishing mail apparently from his bank and entered his details. What happened next was unexpected. Money started being deposited in his bank account and then leaving it again. They were fairly small amounts and the amount leaving his account was a bit less than the amount going in so he was making money. The money was coming from the ex Soviet Union.

Jon

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Isn't that called 'laundering'?