Brrrrr!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Brrrrr!

Post by nigelb »

When I woke up this morning, the outside air temp was -16C. With winds gusting to 34 mph, it was a bit chilly outside. I hope you lot across the pond don't get this rather extreme weather! Put the kettle on and stay warm.

Nigel²

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Brrrrr!

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. been keeping an eye on you poor souls :-O What you get generally comes over here in some shape or form. Hope it's diluted by the time it does :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Nigel,

Yup i have been doing the same as Dave keeping an eye with your weather down the East and like Dave said we can get the snow from you and just as we are thinking our weather is getting better it can dump a load of snow on us!

I am stocking up with long life milk and freezing the bread just in case because that is what runs out in the shops quickly if we get 1/2 inch of Snow!! :lol:

You keep safe over there Nigel.

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Been thinking of you folks in the US.
They reported -37 in Milwaukee.
BTW, Roger, if the power goes off, you can just put that bread outside!
Is it this weather that puts the icing on the cake?
Good luck all. If it's any consolation, it's been cool in the Southern end of Oz.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

We've been suffering with the weather today. Daytime temps of -25°C with a windchill making it feel like -34°C and we have 2-3ft of snow too! (in drifts caused by the wind) :-O :(

The heaters in the house are barely coping and it's chilly just sitting still. We even resorted to feeling all around the window frames and skirting boards (baseboards in NA) to find gaps where the cold air was getting in and then sealing them with masking tape just to stop the draughts. It did make a difference but it's still chilly. Thankfully the temps are supposed to go up to a balmy -10°C tomorrow and be above freezing by the weekend for a day or two at least.

Roll on summer, then we can complain of temperatures in the high 30's (°C, 90+°F) with 95% humidity. 8) :wall:
Larry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Wow glad we are west coast. We were debating whether or not to light the wood burner last night it was -1. I do sympathise, my very oldest friend lives in - all together now :rock: "I got a gal in Kalamazoo zoo zoo zoo", MI and there too it is awful. :-O
Alex

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Recently been to Eastern Europe..heavy snow -15C and no wind in low humidity

Wasn't as cold as it was here yesterday +9 in a F6 wind with high humidity.

In EE, my trouser froze but I never shivered unlike here where many are shivering, even me sometimes and I prefer cold to heat :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Fella's,

Thanks for the tip Mike about the bread! once i see and hear any Brass Monkey's about i'll get ready :lol:

Yes Larry, although i have double glazing i have a couple of wooden doors that can let the draught in and have done the same as you but i made the mistake of using insulating tape which did the job fine but later when it warmed up and i removed the tape it took the paint off the door!, the memsahib was not amused, so now like you i use marking tape.

Family do think i'm odd sometimes as to why i have wooden doors and plastic double glazed windows all round but it's because i like my doors as they are, i hate these PVC ones even though they do the job.

Anyway folks where ever you are in the Colonies take care ;)

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Alex.....you THOUGHT about lighting the wood heater at -1?? Was that inside??
It was +12c the other evening, and I lit the gas heater! What do you have for insulation?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think we've all become a little 'thin blooded'.. perhaps it's an age thing too :worried:

I've had boiler people in since yesterday stripping out the old boiler, fitting a new one and adding a new shower and radiator (where there wasn't one before) so all day yesterday and all of today, we've had no central heating/gas supply. OAT is a dizzy 6deg.

Yesterday, the wife and I sat in the living room with jumpers and fleeces on. At one point, I even had gloves on! OK.. the doors are being opened and closed a lot which isn't helping but even so! I grew up in this house. We didn't have central heating or cavity wall/loft insulation and the windows were old steel frames. I remember as a kid there often being ice on the inside of the windows upstairs and yet we survived.. everyone just got on with it.

How in gads name did we manage without central heating? :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!