Elite

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Elite

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Anyone about my age (46) and interested in computers will have had fond memories of Elite.
Looked at today you may wonder what all the fuss was about. In 64k it had depth, gameplay, strategy and many hours of play (no to mention myths and legends).
So I'm quite excited about the imminent release of this https://store.zaonce.net/?_ga=1.1037744 ... 1403446413.

Please share your memories of Elite, Thargoids, Police Ships and Tribbles!

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Elite

Post by DaveG »

Been watching this one. Used to have Elite back in the day, and I'll be getting this one the it's released. May go for the standard beta when that's out, but £100 for the premium beta is a bit much to drop at the moment.

You may want to check this out too, as it's much more in my price range! http://www.oolite.org/
Dave G.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

£100 Wow (or $150) serious money for a game, plus it seems the add-ons are pretty exxy too at $50 a pop.
I had Elite on an Amiga ..... I think or maybe a Commodore 64 ..... brain fade :help:
Alex

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

I had a spectrum until the late '80's (and have one now since about 18 years) and Elite wasn't released for it, but I did spend a large amount of time watching my mate playing it on his C64 (for hours and hours).

Now I have it, I think for MS-DOS (might be using an emulator). I got it from one of these "abandonware" sites - so if you fancy the original version Google is your friend!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I remember Elite very well. It came with a little novella which set the scene, and mentioned a hidden planet. I don't know whether the hidden planet existed - anyone get to it ? I love the look of this new version, but it does sound rather pricey and as I'm already in Eve, I think I'll pass. Maybe. ;)

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Oh yes, I do remember Elite on my Apple //e. Wasted many hours on that one. Back then you used your imnagination since the graphics were rather primitive and that's being generous.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Doesn't register with me at all.
One of my client's sons had a Commodore 64, which I would have happily killed him for. The first computers we got at work were about 10" floppies, one for the accounting programme, one for the client data. Black screen, green numbers-that was IT. :|
We had Novastorm on CD and a 3.5 inch Astrofire, both of which our daughter was good at. Aaahhh, the old days. :cpu:

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

It comes as a nasty shock to find that you all remember Elite yourselves. I remember it because my sons loved it. They played it, incessantly, on a ZX spectrum . I'll leave you to work out how old that makes me!

Funnily enough, only the other day i was looking at our cat and remembering Furry Felines as the inhabitant s of some planet

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I played Elite a lot on my ZX Spectrum+ 48K. Easily the best game I had for that computer, and better than many games I've bought since.

Microsoft bought out a PC copy the name of which escapes me at the moment. The graphics were infinitely better but the gameplay was sadly lacking. Or maybe it was me who'd moved on in the twenty years between the two games. :dunno:

Jon

The Microsoft game was called Freelancer.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Paul K wrote:I remember Elite very well. It came with a little novella which set the scene, and mentioned a hidden planet. I don't know whether the hidden planet existed - anyone get to it ? I love the look of this new version, but it does sound rather pricey and as I'm already in Eve, I think I'll pass. Maybe. ;)
To be fair the new version is £35, it just isn't available yet, the £100 and £50 options are for early access and a few extras. Personally I'm tempted by a key ring...