Just Joined saying Hello and a question.

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Col1948
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Just Joined saying Hello and a question.

Post by Col1948 »

As the title says, I just registered and saying 'Hello' but also I have a question, I used to have FS9 & FSX many years ago but went on to other things but recently got back in to it and as you can imagine I've forgot a lot of stuff.
Any way I have FS9 installed and running it from an external HD till I get a better PC but that's another issue, so now I like the idea of having Classic AC so I copied and pasted the original version of FS9 and renamed it plus renamed the exe file, both sims seem to run OK but I want to add some ai to the new classic version and I had a problem with TTools because it is set to use the original version.
After a bit of tinkering I got it to work but when I went back to the original I had to tinker again so is there a better/easier way to do this?

Also while on the subject beside Cal Classic is there any British ai flight plans or related stuff I can look at please, I have download a good few classic aircraft but I'm more looking for putting in motion and writing FP's for them all will take a lot of time so that is why I was wondering if there might be a good sauce somewhere?

Thank you in advance.

Col.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Just Joined saying Hello and a question.

Post by DaveG »

Hi Col, and welcome to the forum :hello:
I can't be of much help, as I've stopped using FS9 ages ago, but you may want to look at AI Flight Planer
That handles FS9 as well as FSX & P3d flight plans and may be easier to use in your situation.
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Col and welcome :hello:

Have a look in the Members Forum (at the bottom of this section) and there are a couple of posts there which link to classic era flight plans :)

Re TTools.. you can set where it reads from and sends traffic files to from one of the tabs at the top of the page. Can't remember exactly which one as it's been a while and I don't have it on this pc. You can reset this as many times as you like so there shouldn't be any conflict with which version of FS9 you wish to use ;)
As an alternative.. you can use AIFP as Dave suggested but I never really got my head around it.. even though it should be easier to use than TTools :wall:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Col1948
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Col1948 »

Thanks I have the AIFP but couldn't get my head round it last night, but may try again, I got all the airports loaded then the aircraft but I must have clicked something I should and went back to square one so I gave up.

As for TTools yes I did change it but again that kept going back the default, eventually got it to accept the new FS but now if I want to go back the original it means playing about with it again so that is why I asked if there was an easier way.

Col.

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

This site might be worth a look Col http://retroai.proboards.com
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Col,
I'm on the mobile so excuse me if this looks odd! I don't understand why TTools is doing this, perhaps its because it looses the external when you disconnect it? I used to write to individual traffic folders which kept a bgl and all txt files for that traffic file. Generally, it would always try and write to the last folder I used (which caused me to lose the odd file every now and again) so I had to remember to check where it was writing to. It should always go to the last location, this being the one in preferences.
ATB
DaveB
ImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

TTools doesn't need to use FS9, one can set both the source and destination folders:

I use TTools to generate the plans then AIFP to convert them to FSX format.
Last edited by GHD on 25 Feb 2015, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
George

Col1948
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Col1948 »

Ah thanks, that might be a better option then I can just update the bgl in the right folder, I will look in to that.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's pretty much how I do it George. I have a main Traffic file folder and inside that, a gallon of sub-folders.. each with corresponding bgl and txt files. When I'm happy with it.. I copy the bgl to scenery/world/scenery :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Col1948
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Col1948 »

Well I tried this method and I have it working now thanks, I'm in the process of building up some classic ai now, a slow job but it's coming along. :)