Moving to FSX

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Moving to FSX

Post by hobby »

After many years operating FS9 I have decided to acquire FSX. When I looked at amazon.co.uk I was surprised to see so many variations of that program available! FSX, FSX Deluxe, FSX Gold. I should be interested to know which edition forum members would advise me to buy. Amazon might, or might not, be the best place to buy the recommended version?

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Moving to FSX

Post by TSR2 »

Gold is the latest and final edition mate, it's it's in effect Delux + the acceleration pack all in one.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

TSR2: Thank you.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Depending on your views on the Steam concept, it can be a cheap route into FSX. Once in a while they do sales and it is possible to get FSX Gold for about £5.

The files require an 11 GB download. Steam claim you need to be online at least at the start of a session, but I have found that Steam will not shut down until FSX has been shut down. So it seems you do need to stay online while you run FSX under Steam. Allegedly they are working on making FSX capable of offline operation.

At least if you decide FSX is a disappointment, it would be a cheap way of finding out!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

If you are not in any rush you might think about picking up the FSX Steam Edition the next time it goes on sale for $5. FSX-SE is the same level as FSX Gold which is the base FSX + Acceleration. Dovetail Games, who created the FSX-SE package, have included some improvements and on my system it is considerably smoother than FSX + Acceleration with much sharper images in the VC and less stuttering.
Larry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

AllanL wrote:The files require an 11 GB download. Steam claim you need to be online at least at the start of a session, but I have found that Steam will not shut down until FSX has been shut down. So it seems you do need to stay online while you run FSX under Steam. Allegedly they are working on making FSX capable of offline operation.
You can start Steam in 'offline' mode and then it never connects to the internet until you re-start it in 'online' mode. The Steam client does need to run while the game is running and that is the same for any Steam game. I have a number of games from Steam (FSX-SE, Train Sim 2015, Assetto Corsa, Race 07, ETS2, Arma 2 and 3 plus others) and they all start the Steam client but only connect to the internet if I allow them to.
Larry

plumber
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by plumber »

I have FX Gold which includes Deluxe and Acceleration, you can have this for the price of postage as I am sticking to FS9. Complete with the product key. I will also include an F16 Disc.
Brian Hersee

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

plumber wrote:I have FX Gold which includes Deluxe and Acceleration, you can have this for the price of postage as I am sticking to FS9. Complete with the product key. I will also include an F16 Disc.
Brian Hersee
Hello Brian! :hello:
Nice to see you out.
How are things going? PM if you like, I'm still around. ;)

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Brian.Can I ask what has made you decide to stick with FS9? I''m still on fs9 myself.I doubt my old pc would run FSX.When I decide to replace it, an important part of deciding how much to spend will depend on staying with FS9 or having the potential to move to FSX or P3D should I so choose.I'd be interested in hearing your comments. :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

plumber
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by plumber »

Hi Mike, Firstly things went a bit down hill after our last comm session. I ended up with a Heart Attack 4th July 15, had a 20mm Stent installed, so I am still in the recovery period, very slow and frustrating, concentration levels pretty poor.

I tried FSX but its not for me, I use mega Military stuff in the sim, Lancasters and Mossies to Germany and back, plus world wide 1950 to present day a/c and Flight Plans. I use MAIW site top notch for anything Military.
Best Regards
Brian