Unexpected visitor

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

GaryJ
Viscount
Viscount

Unexpected visitor

Post by GaryJ »

It's not everyday you look out of your back window and see one of these landing behind your garden shed.
I heard it hovering overhead and assumed it was the Chopper Coppers. The next moment a bright light appeared in my lounge like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" :doh:
Turns out there was a car crash on the main road and the green behind my house was the closest the chopper could land.

Gary

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Unexpected visitor

Post by Filonian »

Hope you dashed out with the tea pot Gary

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

"It's an ill wind...." as they say.
Bad news for the crash victims, interesting event for aviation fans.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

GaryJ wrote:It's not everyday you look out of your back window and see one of these landing behind your garden shed.
I heard it hovering overhead and assumed it was the Chopper Coppers. The next moment a bright light appeared in my lounge like "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" :doh:
Turns out there was a car crash on the main road and the green behind my house was the closest the chopper could land.

Gary
Sorry, Gary that you had to see the helicopter under such unfortunate circumstances and my thoughts are with the occupants of the vehicle, hoping they are OK.
The photo, does however remind me of a happier view of a helicopter in my childhood. The local school (T.P. Riley in Bloxwich, Walsall - now rebuilt and called Walsall Academy) was having a summer fete. The school was just a stones throw from my parents house and visible from my bedroom window (incidentally, it was where Noddy Holder of Slade was educated, some years prior to the aforementioned event). The highlight of this summer fate, was a helicopter display. My Dad set up a set of step ladders, in order for me to watch the display from our garden. I stood atop the step ladders, waving like crazy. Towards the end of the display, the helicopter (I remember a curved glass canopy and framework tail, so probably a Bell 47/Westland Sioux) flew right over our house and hovered above me, before returning to the fete. I'm sure that the Pilot had seen me and had carried out this manoeuvre for my benefit.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

What a wonderful memory to have, Kevin. ;)

GaryJ
Viscount
Viscount

Post by GaryJ »

That really is a great memory Kevin.
Apparently the driver doing 50 in a 30 zone had to be cut out with suspected spinal injuries. Thankfully the family he ran into the side of only had bruising.