Mac Robinson air race.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

spot
Trident
Trident

Mac Robinson air race.

Post by spot »

Hi gents, my lad is just starting back to flight simming after a hectic few years.( marriage , baby and house purchase ) He is thinking of following the rout of the Mac Robinson air race.
Now he has the main rout with the 5 stops,but there were 22 other places that had emergency
Fuel. Can any one help to identify those places.

Brian
Low and slow, the way to go ;)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Mac Robinson air race.

Post by Paul K »

This might help. It includes a digitized copy of the pilot's brochure. MacRobertson, rather than MacRobinson, so maybe you've been getting the wrong search results.

https://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/stories/aviat ... y-air-race

It's a good route to fly, now that we have nice senery in MSFS

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Sim Outhouse hosted several sim based races over the years and it just happens that someone started a thread on this very topic a little while ago to see if there was any interest in re-starting the races in the new sim.

The thread can be found here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... son-flight
Larry

spot
Trident
Trident

Post by spot »

Thanks gents. :thumbsup:

Brian

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Which Flight Sim & aircraft does he intend to fly? I created Harold Brooks Miles M3 Falcon prototype G-ACTM with its long range tank for 'Sir Galahad' & it is available over at Flightsim. No autopilot fitted but thats easy to add! She works in FS9 & FSX, not sure about the others.
Keith

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I was discussing that aircraft and it's trip to Oz with 'Sir Galahad' (Rob) just yesterday Keith! His account of the flight from 2014 is still on the SOH Round the World Race forums: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... re-I-Sleep

Rob and I were working on a flight-plan based on the route in the docs shown in the thread above while chatting on TeamSpeak yesterday (we are close friends and chat for several hours most days and also fly online together and with others). I managed to recreate the entire flight plan shown using the stock airports in FSX with the exception of one optional check-point in 'middle of nowhere' Australia (Newcastle Waters) but I did place a way-point at that location to keep the route as accurate as possible.

My idea was to fly it in a modern aircraft (possibly a PC12 or similar for speed and range) or a war-bird but to do it recreationally rather than with all the rules and restrictions needed for a race so it would be more like a 'hop list' where you just fly a leg here and there whenever you feel like it. We even discussed flying it online as one of our regular 'Flight 19' online sessions.
Larry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Larry,
Funny how sometimes co-incidences (however tenuous the link) happen!
Keith

spot
Trident
Trident

Post by spot »

Thanks Keith. He is on MSFS and he is using the Caernarfon Mooney. I think it’s just a bit of fun
As he gets back in the swing. :thumbsup:

Brian

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

I would like to have a go at this, but not sure if there are "period" aircraft available in Msfs (I don't have any other sim installed) that have the duration. Dave's Rapide would fit the bill, but I don't think it has the range for some of the hops. I would imagine in the real flight, the aeroplanes had extra fuel capacity. As Keith says, you would need an autopilot. It would be a long flight, hand flying in the sim. The Dc6 although not quite period, would be ideal, and could be flown using the VA, either charter flights or we could add the routing to the database.
Dale
Image Image Image

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I just checked my routing and the longest single leg is 683 nm (ironically the final leg from 'middle of nowhere' Australia to the finish!) while the shortest is 315 nm, most are in the 400-600 nm range.

Extra tanks were indeed carried in the period aircraft with the one exception being the DC2 which could probably have refueled some of the others and still had fuel left for another leg!

I have no idea what airports are available in MSFS 2020 as I have not been following it's development and don't frequent the 2020 forums. If it ever gets out of beta testing and the endless updates cycle I may get interested in it.
Larry