FScene

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

FScene

Post by Jetset »

After many years of using VFR scenery I am thinking of having a change. I was looking into purchasing the FScene texture packs, available from GAME etc, and thought I would see if anybody else had purchased them.

VFR is ok, but I am getting sick of the blurry textures and alike.

If anybody knows anything about it, could you tell me if it works with VFR terrain and if it's worth it?

My interest has arisen after watching that second FS video in the gallery. The person who made the vid uses it and it looks rather good.

Anyway over to you.
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Bu@@er Jetty..

Too late now for any worthwhile explanation but basically, VFRPhoto/Terrain should jump all over it in the UK so you'll see no difference whatsoever. Where you will see a difference is anywhere that doesn't have it's own custom textures which these days, is becoming more difficult to find!
IF you have a basic setup (which I know you don't) eg.. the default flightsim world.. FSscene looks a great deal better than what you'll be seeing at the moment. The textures are matched to geographic areas so.. the world will not look like the US. However, ALL of Europe (for eg, if you buy the Europe set) will look the same and when you fly past the border of the textures, you go back into M$ nomansland again. It's a case of 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other mate. They were very good in their day (2002 vintage) but FS and scenery in general has come on a lot since then so unless you can pick them up for a song, my honest feeling is don't bother if you already have lots of custom areas installed :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thanks Dave, I see where you are coming from.
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:wink: :wink:

As an example.. I did the Dams Raid oh, when Ed released his Lancasters. All was well over the UK (pitch black because of VFR but suitable for wartime) but as I approached Holland.. there were lights and bridges everywhere :lol: :lol: Party time!! :drinkers: I forgot I had NL2000 scenery installed which covers just about all of Holland so.. FSscene was no good there!!. My Switzerland is VFR so it's no good there, I have huge chunks of France in addon so a lot of FSscene is worthless there and great big chunks of Germany are also a mixture of VFR and addon so it's no good there either!! I'm sure there are a few places where it shines through but off the top of my head.. I can't think of one at the mo :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

It's easy to forget all of the extra addons we have! I just keep being bothered by the lack of night flying. I suppose I could take off toward dusk and land in Europe at night thus getting my night landings in. Then I could night stop at the destination. So it's party time in the Netherlands? Off I go.
Jetty!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

If you're going into the night flying you really should get the real_stars.zip from flightsim just replace your stars.dat with the one from the package, and there you go...a sky filled with stars, several % more than the default..

By Norbert Pachner

Can also be found at Avsim Here
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I recently downloaded the Golden Wings package and use it for looking at new aircraft to avoid the long loading times of FS9 along with the blurries that you mention with VFR Photoreal.

I have to say, as far as textures go, the GW teaxtures are quite acceptable for general VFR flying plus they change with the seasons. As an aside, I installed VFR Terrain into GW to see what results I got and I have to say, they are rather good.

The water textures that also come with this package is rather nice too so I popped them into my FS9 (normal) installation so I have the best of both worlds.

You will also find that EZVFR and or EZLandmark also work equally well in the GW package.

GW Spring with VFR Terrain near Llanbedr..............

now the 'Winter'

Finally the GW water textures in FS9....'Chipmunk over Weymouth Bay approaching Portland......

What's more GW is at a good price.....FREE..(about 60meg D/L)

Regards.

Bridon Bear :wink:

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

mulletman
Viscount
Viscount

Post by mulletman »

I have never baught any global texture packs (or downloaded for that matter). Was seconds away from splashing out £75 odd quid on FSScene, when i stubled across this;

http://environments.flight1.net/

Now, as i said, i havent baugh any. But this will be instanly on my HD when the CDversion comes along. Its a lot cheeper too. I know that some users dont like some of the textures, but i think that (from screenshots) it looks superb.

Worth checking out at least.

As for terrain addons. I dont have any specific area ones, but i can instantly tell you that FS Global SE is very good. If i had a list of 'must haves' it would be near the top.
Image Image
Yes...and... I Like my Boeings.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thanks for the info chaps and piccies Bridon. I will give it some thought. :smile:
Jetty!

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

BB, do you have a link for the Golden Wings textures please? At the moment I am weighing up all of my texture options!
Jetty!