GPS - 748

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TomNocturnal
Meteor
Meteor

GPS - 748

Post by TomNocturnal »

A question with regards to re-programming the GPS in the 748.

The story goes:

I was on a flight, climbing to 14,000. For some reason, during this climb, I tabbed out of the game and proceeded to post a reply on a forum - completely forgetting about the climb...

Needless to say,when I returned, I was at 22,000ft and ATC had cancelled my IFR, meaning my GPS had lost its route.

I used the ATC Window to re-load the IFR, which worked fine. However, when I tried to slave back to GPS, it tried to turn me round, back to my starting location.
On closer inspection I discovered that this was because the GPS was showing the Take-Off - to - First Waypoint on its route menu.

My question is this:

How do I reprogram the GPS so that it continues the IFR, from the next waypoint I pass. Instead of going back to the start??

I used the FS9 help thing for the "Direct-to-Waypoint" programming of the GPS, but this is only for 1 at a time not the full IFR list...

A "button-by-button" description would be helpful! :redface:

(BTW - I got her down nice and safe (with a few wrong turns inbetween) with 100% rating... so im not overly fussed) :roll:

Cheers
:doh:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Tom,

I'd love to be able to impart some words of wisdom regarding the native GPS but it has remained a mystery to me from day one and remains so now. The information window is either too small to be of use and zooming in restricts the area in view to such a degree as to be useless. You should be able to select a waypoint with it but how this is achieved I've no idea.
Be like the majority of us Tom and buy either FSNavigator or FSBuild.. both of which are far superior to the native GPS and give you all the functionality you would want including very easily being able to select waypoints :wink:

Hopefully.. someone here uses the default and will be able to give you the info you require.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I have a crazy solution to this

just ahead of my position or at least very close. I then make a new flightplan from that airport to my destination

When it asks if I want the aircraft to be positioned to the departure airport I say no and I find myself same level and position with a new route to follow just ahead of me flying to the first waypoint from the new airport.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TomNocturnal
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TomNocturnal »

I though about doing that... :roll:

However, the problem occoured above central-southern Britain. So, by the time I had sorted out my cruise height, and got back on course (manually, after the GPS "re-slaving" threw me completely off-course, and I had no idea what was going on...) I was smack-dab in the middle of the channel...

...meaning no airports. :doh:

I had spent 5 minutes trying to bodge the GPS myself... lost the IFR again! :doh: Re-loaded the IFR... again! and then started to get my vectors.

So by that time there was no point in trying to slave back to the GPS.

Just would be nice to know how to use the GPS - just incase during a longer flight I decide to check a forum again! :-$ :think: :doh:

alemaobaiano
Trident
Trident

Post by alemaobaiano »

I didn't even know you COULD use the GPS in the 748 :shock:

I've been flying the thing around for months and to be honest have never felt the lack of that "feature" anyway. It seems more natural using VOR/NDB and charts with the budgie (and all of the other aircraft from our resident experts) than GPS.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this. – Terry Pratchett

dom1
Meteor
Meteor

Post by dom1 »

It is possible to select the right waypoint on the default GPS, I know because I've done exactly what you describe myself!

If you look in the GPS section of the FS9 Learning Centre it gives full instructions... However I have a feeling it only works properly with the GPS 500 unit (the bigger one of the two default options). I think you have to get the route page up, then press the cursor button until the top line flashes then scroll down with the round knob until you highlight the waypoint you want to fly to. Then you hit the menu button and it should say 'Activate leg?' then hit enter twice and hey presto you're back on track...

Or something like that :lol:
Dom Mahon
Aylesbury, UK

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Ive been messing with it alot recently - using the VTF (vector to FAF) on known approaches - if you go to the approach and load it then activate the vector to FAF function it shows you not only the hold but the missed approach
and will happily follow along until you intercept the glideslope then drop into the correct approach mode.

Leif