Any Naval types out there able to help?

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Any Naval types out there able to help?

Post by AndyG »

In an earlier thread about zapped RN Phantoms I put this link

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/pho ... s%2005.jpg

I am now avidly looking for more information, as this is just too good a scheme to ignore! I've found a website with more piccies, and the webmaster is kindly attempting to get some better quality copies of the images for me; I've also had some help over at the Outhouse, including the Bu No which was totally unreadable on any of the images I have seen so far.

The information I am still looking for is more detail on the splitter plate badge, and whether the boys on Ark repainted the tail ESDG, or simply put the 892 markings onto an already black fin. Can anybody help, do any of you have any connections that might be able to answer these questions?

Thanks

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hmmmmmmmmmm...Andy :sad:

Not very Classic British is it. :huf:

Not too bad if the aircraft or livery is Classic British but this is neither :roll:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Let's see Garry, this is something that happened on HMS Ark Royal (British, Classic), will complement Mr Nott's zapped FG1 Phantoms (classic) and is an actual historical scheme.

Makes me think that my post, asking for help from my friends on the forum, is a valid one. Didn't see you making any similar comments on the recent fictional 737 thread. :think:

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Andy

The fictional 737 is at least RAF and he wasn't making a request.

you are talking USAF request on a Phantom

I wasn't going to remove this thread but if you want to argue I will

This is a classic British repaint section and you are making a non classic British request.

IN the meantime I'll move it to CNB

Garry
Last edited by Garry Russell on 18 Sep 2006, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Garry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

No arguments here Garry, just thought I'd point my reasoning out. I unreservedly apologise for asking for help on a USMC colour scheme, even if there is a tenuous Brit connection! :-#

AndyG

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Andy..

Sri I can't help with the detail you've asked for as nothing I served on had a flightdeck that big (expect Hermes and she was a Helicopter carrier at the time!!) but.. do you know if that shot is onboard Ark Royal or Forrestal as painted on the F4?? The FD crew look like Brits and the deck doesn't look wide enough to be anything American (other than one of their lifeboats perhaps) :lol: Not seen that shot before today.. most unusual :wink:

Perhaps one of the guy's working on the freeware Ark can be of help :wink:

[edit] I read your post again and see that the shot IS taken onboard the Ark.. if I've read it correctly :roll:
ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

DaveB wrote:Andy..

Sri I can't help with the detail you've asked for as nothing I served on had a flightdeck that big (expect Hermes and she was a Helicopter carrier at the time!!) but.. do you know if that shot is onboard Ark Royal or Forrestal as painted on the F4?? The FD crew look like Brits and the deck doesn't look wide enough to be anything American (other than one of their lifeboats perhaps) :lol: Not seen that shot before today.. most unusual :wink:

Perhaps one of the guy's working on the freeware Ark can be of help :wink:

[edit] I read your post again and see that the shot IS taken onboard the Ark.. if I've read it correctly :roll:
ATB

I think this shot is, although the rest of the pictures I have managed to track down seem to be on the Forrestal. Thanks for the input anyway.

Now, where did I put John Adams email address; I wonder if he's got any photos of that pink Harrier!

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Andy

Sorry if my original post was misunderstood and the request is fair enough...it was the section I was dubious about. That's all

Anyway I do hope the request gets taken up as it is worthy subject in it's own right. :smile:

Garry
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I hope you're not referring to a pink Harrier Garry :shock: I couldn't think of anything LESS worthy :lol:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Hi All

I can clear this one up for you, it was indeed the Ark Royal, we had several F4's land on her during the 70's

This one I remember had some enging trouble ( I think, long time ago now) and became the "hangar queen" in 892's hangar space, by the time she left the Ark she had 892's Omega sign in her tail as you can see in that pic.

Hope that helps
Last edited by Seaking on 18 Sep 2006, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.