'think like a bird'

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

sando
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

'think like a bird'

Post by sando »

Sorry if this is digging up a past topic but I'm reading a book about an Army pilot and his initial training on a Chippy, then the AOP 9. It's difficult to put down. I can recommend it as insight to the delights of flying Ricks beauty.
Author- Alex Kimble
Title - 'Think like a bird'

John :thumbsup:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Ah, my favourite aviation book!

I also have the follow up...The Unbridgeable Divide, this has a bit more 'emotional side' stuff but the flying elements are brilliantly written.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unbridgeable-Di ... F8&s=books
ATB Trev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Saw a documentary on TV long time ago about the army training helicopter pilots, all started on the Chippie with the RAF and then onto rotaries.

What I didn't know before was that they trained ordinary foot sloggers if they showed they had the aptitude to train. :shock:

Wish I'd known that when I was younger, would have asked for a transfer from the RAF to the Army and applied for flying duties instead of having to pay for it!! :sad: :lol:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Pringle
Trident
Trident

Post by Pringle »

Nigel H-J wrote:Wish I'd known that when I was younger, would have asked for a transfer from the RAF to the Army and applied for flying duties instead of having to pay for it!! :sad: :lol:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?? :shock: :shock:
We are the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful

LIVING THE DREAM

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??
I said "Wish I'd known that when I was younger, would have asked for a transfer from the RAF to the Army and applied for flying duties instead of having to pay for it"!! :lol:

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Wish I'd known that when I was younger, would have asked for a transfer from the RAF to the Army and applied for flying duties instead of having to pay for it!!
Strange thing is Nigel, I WAS accepted into the AAC as one of the first direct entrant applicants in 1974, at 16. You would do 2 years in the Junior Leaders of the RAC, and then join the AAC as a 'driver' with the promise of fast tracking into the Air Gunner, Observer or Pilot branch. Medics took too long giving me extra tests (you had to pass an aircrew medical first) and they thought I had a blood pressure problem, wrongly, soI missed that year's entry deadline :-({|= Whilst waiting the year, I joined the RAF!
We also had a loadie on 230 Sqn who left and transferred to the AAC for pilot training. He had to accept being a private for 6 months to do this though! Last I heard, he was a major.
ATB Trev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Do you still have any regrets about the mis-diagnosis Trev or would that be classed as a stupid question?!

Still, on the other hand, it does not pay to wonder what might have been, just be thankful for what you have done/achieved so far!!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Do you still have any regrets about the mis-diagnosis Trev or would that be classed as a stupid question?!
Technically, they were correct Nigel, it became evident that I had slightly high BP at Biggin Hill, three years later. The RAF excepted it, to this day it is exactly the same :think:
No, having seen that programme on AAC flying and reading this book, I am pretty sure I would have been washed out, then what a pongo, with my feet deep in the mud, no thanks!
ATB Trev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

No, having seen that programme on AAC flying and reading this book, I am pretty sure I would have been washed out, then what a pongo, with my feet deep in the mud, no thanks!
Probably right Trev, might have applied to me also if I had gone down that road. Learning to fly in your own time is one thing but........to do it whilst under pressure and to achieve the standards required in an allotted time scale is another!! :poke: