It's Died!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

It's Died!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Jetset »

I never thought this would happen, but it seems my machine has died. A few weeks ago it wouldn't boot up and kept making a clicking sound. Sometimes it would get to the blue screen and then switch the monitor off. Tonight I went to switch it on and it wouldn't even power up.

Any suggestions?
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

sknepper
Lightning
Lightning

Post by sknepper »

Was it a virus, mate?
Sincerely, Sean Kneppers
Repainter by choice
Fancy the Irish going Dutch

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Don't think so, nothing detected. Thought it might be a problem with the power unit. But I just don't know.
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Sorry to hear that Jetty :sad:

Mobo fan failure?

That can make noises and then stop the machine booting when it fails completely.

Take a look and see if any fans are jammed/clogged...bearing gone.

CB will no doubt have an idea....but in the meantime.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Jetset - you need to open the case and check with a voltmeter that you are getting output voltage from the power unit to the mobo. Depending on your system, it should be somewhere between 3 and 12 volts. If you are, then your power supply is probably ok, but the favourite candidate for this is the power supply, which have a finite life, which is even more limited if a high load system is placed on a limited power supply as often happens when people progressively upgrade without upgrading the power supply

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

The voltage rails are 3.3, 5 and 12v. Should be within 3% for a decent psu and never more then 10% out.

If it was a problem with the motherboard or cpu, then all of the fans would normally spool up but it wouldnt post or beep or do anything.

If nothing happens then I reckon its a psu problem or the power switch.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

I thought it may be worth adding that when/If you replace your PSU, use the best one you can afford and if you think you need 400 Watts, get 550. These supplies are sometime quite cheap in build quality and it's worth a few extra bucks for a good one.

Ivan,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Thanks chaps, I will look into it.
Jetty!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Jetty,

A failing hard drive is often preceeded by clicks from the drive...Katy Pluta, who taught me to build computers has several times replaced drives the moment they click. However, I fear it may be too late for that now :worried:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Depends on the make of the drive, some drives click, or rather clunk when they have been idle a for a long while and the head parks.
Allthough if your HDD clicks rapidly and its an IBM Deskstar then its time to replace it... it didnt earn the nickname deathstar for nothing :lol:
A hdd failure wouldnt stop the motherboard from posting though.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.