FSX and Vista?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

FSX and Vista?

Post by 233SQN »

Anyone know if Vista will make FSX any better/smoother/faster?

Will it affect FS9?
Thanks

Colin Bear

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

I can't say about Vista and FS9 but Vista and FSX runs no better than it does with XP, contrary to what MS say on the box!

If anything, I think it's slower! :sad:

Although Vista, from what I've used of it so far, does look to be a fine OS.

Cheers,
Andy M.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Does Vista ship with direct X 10 yet? I was told that would make a difference in FSX....and as for slower AGGGHHHHH :-#
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Trev,

I got a Novatech catalogue in the post a couple of days ago and I seem to remember them offering 4 versions of Vista.. the most expensive 2 of the 4 including DX10 support.. whatever that means :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I would have thought that the graphics engine was so fundamental that DX10 would be in all versions.

Certainly there is no distinction between versions for DX10 at the Microsoft site (unlike say encryption of file system which does mention specific versions).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... rectx.mspx

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed..

I see the blurb on most of the sites has changed now though actually nailing down what it comes with is less easy. Specification on the Novatech site now says 'A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable'. Prior to release, Ebuyer were offering a huge selection of variations and captions for the expensive versions (and only the expensive versions) indicated DX10 Support. Novatech offer 4 versions of Ultimate alone.. a separate OEM and Retail version of the 32bit-64bit system plus one each for the full 64-bit version :roll:

I thought the whole idea of this latest incarnation was to bring the systems closer together but I see a Home version, a Home Premium version, a Business version and Ultimate with variations of each :doh: I suppose the best bet is to go to Microsh1te and see from them what each version supports as I can't find anything definitive from the retailers :roll:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

DaveB wrote: I thought the whole idea of this latest incarnation was to bring the systems closer together but I see a Home version, a Home Premium version, a Business version and Ultimate with variations of each :doh: I suppose the best bet is to go to Microsh1te and see from them what each version supports as I can't find anything definitive from the retailers :roll:

ATB

My understanding is that the 'Home' version is the one they think nobody will buy, the 'Premium' version will give most people what they need, the 'Business' version is for BOFH to con their companies with and the 'Ultimate' is for people with more money than sense! :roll:

AndyG

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Haven't been about of late guys, sorry I missed this. It does run a bit better but nowt to do with DX10 as FSX doesn't have any DX10.

The one to go for is home premium and if you already have a valid XP (including the license key) its about £69 for the upgrade. I'd only recommend it if you have a decent PC though.

Again, best way to buy Vista is with a new PC, that way you get it thrown in. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

FSX in its current guise WILL NOT see any major performance gains in Vista over XP. Did we all suddenly forget that the ACES team made it clear on several occasions that FSX as released is a DX9-only product? They will be releasing a DX10 update that introduces the DX10 graphics engines later this year and then you will see the improvements in performance if you have a DX10-compatible video card. Without it, you won't see much improvement anyway since it'll be running in DX9-compatibility mode.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Ben Watson wrote:Haven't been about of late guys, sorry I missed this. It does run a bit better but nowt to do with DX10 as FSX doesn't have any DX10.

The one to go for is home premium and if you already have a valid XP (including the license key) its about £69 for the upgrade. I'd only recommend it if you have a decent PC though.

Again, best way to buy Vista is with a new PC, that way you get it thrown in. :wink:
Where did you see that price Ben? The prices I've seen quoted for the Home Premium upgrade are around £140, at £69 I might reconsider!!

AndyG