Comet
Comet

Upgrade time

Post by soggy »

Hi all,

Subject to funds i am considering buying either of the following:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage?MBB-F61382

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... l?BB-X2MDS

Now this will be my first attempt at a diy upgrade,could any of you help me with the follwing questions?

If i go with the first option, is it just a matter of fitting it into my existing case and plugging in my hard drives/dvd/graphics card.

Or, if i go with the second option will i just have to fit my hard drives/dvd/graphics card and turn it on.

I am fairly confident in putting all the leads in the right sockets but i am clueless when it comes to bios type stuff.What i want to do is fit it together and have it work like normal when i turn it on.I understand i will have to uninstall all the existing drivers from windows and install the ones for the new bits.

Thanks,

Pete.

If United were playing in my garden,I would close the curtains.

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

I don't know what system you have now, but it's probably got an AGP graphics card. Both those boards are PCI Express, so you'll need a new card.

You MAY also need to do a fresh installation of Windows. It isn't always as simple as just uninstalling the existing drivers (in my experience anyway).

I'd be tempted to save up for another 6 months, when DX10 graphics cards are better established. Plus, everything will be a bit cheaper then too!

James

soggy
Comet
Comet

Post by soggy »

Thanks James,

You are right my current system will only take AGP(running a Nvidea fx5900 at the mo),And i will be saving up for a dx10 card,However a very kind friend has offered me a ati x1950 pro in return for a crate of Bitter :dance: .

Pete.

If United were playing in my garden,I would close the curtains.

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

I wish I had a friend like that! All the best with it.

James

:smile: