Toyota knowledge?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Toyota knowledge?

Post by DanKH »

OK here goes....

I've tried to find out how much I have to replace on my car as the brakes a wasted, mildly put....

I have a Toyota Carina from 1989 type AT171

I know I have to replace the front brakes all inclusive, but do it also brake on the rear wheels???? As I can't seem to find any spare parts such as shoes, pads or disc ... only for the front brakes....

So can I get away with only replacing the front brakes? And is it much trouble, or do you figure it's best doing at the garage?

I really want to save the bucks by doing it myself....

Any help much appreciated...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

ronindanbo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ronindanbo »

Dan

Just a little hint about Japanese vehicles they are not built like european ones only if you let the shoes ware down to metal do you need to worry about replacing the disks, most of the time all you need to do is sort out the break shoes and even then all you need to do really is have them relined. It may be a possibility that the rear breaks are drum breaks rather than disk.
BSMP Founder and Modeller

Visit http://www.bsmp.co.nz

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dan, given that she's an '89 its probably best to replace the lot as components deteriorate over time regardless of mileage. I'm not particularly fimiliar with the Carina, but as all the manufacturers use eachother parts it shouldn't be difficult to get some from a motorfactors, i.e. an OEM part. Toyota have a reputation for having good support for their older models so it still may be possible to get the parts from your local dealer, but these will likely be expensive.

I've recently used parts gateway to get bits for my car (albeit not a toyota) and I was quite impressed with the service, lots of no obligation quotes, a choice of suppliers and customer feedback.

http://toyota.partsgateway.co.uk/toyota ... parts.html
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Thanks, but I'm very certain that the shoes are totally worn out, and I guess even part of the disc has melted away now :roll: :lol:

Judging from both the whining the last few weeks, and now the rumbling, and finally the fact that the brakes blocks when reversing.....

So I guess it is way over due to replace the whole front part....

I'm a bit more curious of the rear part though....

You might be right about them being drum brakes....can't see to find any manuals anywhere to prove me right or wrong...

Thanks for your interest.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Hi Ben

thanks for your interest.

I have to different spare part retailers to choose from.

Both actually have them same cheap prices on the exact same parts, so I just have to go to the nearest one.

No of them are "real" Toyota dealers, but the quality of their parts are OK and a LOT cheaper. I've used them both before.

So it all boils down to if I have to replace any rear parts as well.

Front parts only all inclusive is about 1000 DKR or in the neighborhood of 100 £ so it is not so much for the price, more that I want to be sure to fix it properly
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Just one thing Dan

Good as it is to replace parts yourself and save money, I wonder with breaks being so important that given the state they seem to be in now you might be better to get it done professionally.

Perhaps someone skilled could do it private which would still be cheaper.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

John R
Meteor
Meteor

Post by John R »

Hi Dan.

Being a fellow (older) Toyota owner, I've a 1987 MR2 as a sunny day plaything, sourcing parts can be a pain in the bum!
However your Carina is listed here, http://www.brakesint.co.uk

I seem to remember they do international orders, so you should have no problems.

Hope this helps

John

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Thanks for your comments.

Garry: The car being so old, and the possible replacement of the whole thing in the near future, prevents me from seeking professional help (car related that is)

I've done so many replacements from new car glass over exhaust pipes to cooler and various other repairs. Never done brakes though, but there has to be a first time for everything.....

If I f... it all up I guess my next step will be a professional, but I think I'll give it a try my self first.

Thanks for your concern though.

John: Nice link there Thank you
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

ronindanbo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by ronindanbo »

Replacing breaks in Toyotas is pretty easy, break disks well thats a different story lol, just make sure you have an extra pair of hands so you can bleed the break line and you should be OK. Now even if the disks have been groved you should still be able to get em lathed back, disks on Jap cars arent really designed to ware out too quickly, they use quite a high tensile steel in them. The last Mitsi I owned I didnt need to replace the disks for well over 200,000 Kms
BSMP Founder and Modeller

Visit http://www.bsmp.co.nz

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Thanks Dan, I'll see if I can dig up a spare set of hands.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image