FSX and Vista?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Andy..

Novatech are offering 32-bit and 64-bit OEM for £66.99.. 32/64-but upgrade (retail) £139.82 and 32/64-bit full retail £210.32. It aint cheap is it!! :shock:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I find XP a very stable OS and since I'm sticking with FS9 and DX9 I don't yet see the need for an upgraded OS. I will look at it again a year from now when the DX10 cards are out and the drivers have all been debugged :think:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

If you don't have an upgrade path, or are not buying a new PC with Vista upgraded, the OEM version seems to be the best option as far as price goes. And Home Premium is probably the most relevant here.

32 bit and 64 bit versions in the same box - reviews say stick with the 32 bit version if you want all your existing kit to have a chance of working. 64 bit needs signed drivers and how many of those will there be?

If I were going to buy (not in 2007) I would need to check that the version I bought would allow transfer to another PC if I upgraded. There was mention in PC Pro that some versions can only be registered a defined number of times - substantial hardware upgrades could take you over that number. I will check that article and report back.

Ian

Edit:

OK originally Home and Home Premium were locked to one machine. You could move that copy to another machine just once. As a result of comments, the full box version does not have that restriction, but the OEM version does. Bear in mind that product activation will ensure that the rules are obeyed.

BUT the "move to another machine" could be a substantial upgrade of the hardware (remember XP reactivation if more than a certain number of items were changed?). So if you get the OEM version, expect to be limited to what you can upgrade during the life of Vista otherwise you won't have a valid licence :-#

ANd here is the online version of the article:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/100241 ... nfuse.html

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Check this link:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

Scroll down and read the article about doing a clean install of Vista on a new computer with the UPGRADE version of Vista, rather than the full package. Could save some £ or $.

Note: I have not tried this so I don't know if it works but the source is a reliable one!

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

The really annoying thing from that post is the prices:

Vista Home Premium $228

Upgrade $156 ($72 less)

Based on today's exchange rate AND adding the ubiquitous 17.5% VAT, that comes out as

£136 for full version

and £92 for upgrade

A bit different from Novatech's prices of £210 and £139

:-# :curse:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I know mate and Novatech aren't particularly expensive either. Ebuyer are similar as are a couple of others I've looked at :sad: It's the same old story... :huf:

ATB

ImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

No mention of Vista Family Discount for the UK either.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... count.mspx

That might just convince me to part with my money.

Are we being screwed, or are we being screwed?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

'Screwed' seems to be a fitting word Ian though M$ are not alone. I was into cameras some years ago and the salesman who talked me out of buying a Nikon in favour of a Canon Eos50e (an American chappie) used to lend me some of his camera mags he got shipped over. I was gutted to see camera prices over there the equivalent in dollars to what we were paying in pounds sterling and to rub salt into the wounds.. all the big manufacturers offered at least $100 back when additional lenses were purchased. Only this last year have I noticed vouchers being offered (by Canon) for a free simm on registration. :shock: Not exactly a hundred bucks but better than a poke in the eye :poke:

Maybe one day, M$ will include the rest of the world in these generous offers :dunno:

ATB

ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

It's much too premature to think about Vista as a performance enhancement for FS. As Chris points out, DX10 will be the defining product and that is not yet available in any version of Vista. Even when it is it will not be backward compatible with existing graphics cards. Even when you have Vista and it is updated with DX10 it will still only run DX9 unless you have a DX10 graphics card. I believe there are only one or two of those available at about a million squids a go.

I reckon another year before we will see the FSX/Vista/DX10 combination become remotely available and remotely affordable.

Oh well, back to enjoying FS9 - no decisions to make, no money to find ho hum :roll:

Ian :smile:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's true Ian. I think it was Ben who recently bought Vista and plonked a lovely new Nvidia card with it for FSX only to find neither Nvidia or M$ had any Vista drivers for it :shock: He's obviously disappointed now but has one foot through the door come judgement day :wink:

ATB

ImageImage