Toyota knowledge?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Dan

I reckon that not until you take the wheels off and look at the brake discs and pads are you going to know how bad it is.

A neighbour replaced the worn front discs and pads on a Peugeot 206 last week in a couple of hours - he did know what he was doing since he is a mechanic. Spanners and hammer seemed to be the primary tools. But he did not replace the rear brakes since they were ok.

Also he did not need to bleed the brakes since the hydraulics were not touched. I think that would only be necessary if you had to replace the calipers as well.

Ian

J_Eden
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by J_Eden »

The important thing to remember when doing brake pads is to remember that anytime you push the piston back you need to do it SLOWLY. This is so that the brake fluid in the pipes are not doing to be forcing the brake seals hard enough so they pop out and you end up with brake fluid running down the inside of your car and taking all the paint off and a bigger job than what you already had.

Toyotas are pretty easy cars to do brakes on. All you need to do for brake pads is undo the bottom caliper bolt, lift the caliper up and pull the pads out, push the piston back with a disc spreader or big pair of poly grips and then put the new pads in, do everything up tight and your good to go. Check the condition of the brake rotor too because it might have ruts or grooves in it from stones, in which case you may need to get them machined or replaced.

Only time you need to bleed brakes is when youve allowed air into the system, which usually, you never need to touch replacing brakes.

I would make a service call to help ya out, but unfortunatly the airfares a bit much :lol:

Cheers,
James

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Brakes are relatively easy to do, even for a 'novice',
bleeding of the hydraulics is only needed if you disconnect the brake hydraulic pipes or have to fit new seals anywhere, start by getting yourself a 'Haynes' manual for the car

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10001

and having a read

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Thanks.

Somehow I knew that the only place to go if you had a question about Toyota front brakes was to go to Classic British Flight Sim ... :lol: :lol:

I think I'm pretty covered now, and again, thank you all for your input.

Sorry I'm not able to buy a ticket for you James. Otherwise we could spend the rest of the day here in sunny Denmark fixing brakes and having a cool bear in the garden... another time maybe... :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

J_Eden
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by J_Eden »

Offers always open mate :lol: Got to be a lot better than what we are having over here. Freezing cold wind and rain. Not a great thing when you are working on cars fresh from the rain :-#

James

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

We are at 20 degrees Celsius here, very thin clouds, blue sky, and the kids a running around in the garden in short trousers, bare feet and T-shirts.

The cats are dozing on the porch, the dog has gone to sleep as well, the rabbit has been freshly castrated and the birds are twiddling(?) right outside the window.

Not a sound from any traffic and my PC is currently up to it's full potential after a fresh Virus scan..and a complete defragment.

Isn't life great?
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Okay, got the shoes and disc dismantled, replaced the shoes and the disc. but apparently the brakes has to be bled.....how do I do that now?

Any advice would be highly appreciated, as my car is now standing on two boxes without wheels......
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Dan

Did you disconnect the hydraulics?

You would know because there is a thin oil everywhere now!

If not then you do not need to bleed the brakes.

Ian

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

No I didn't, I'm clean as a baby....NOT!....

But I have to push back the piston in order to fit the cover of the caliper down over the new shoes.... and it' rock solid.... how do I press it in? With a plier? or what?
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Ah... just re-read James' post....off to get my self a big pair of pliers....!

I might even be finsih this evening....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image