Am I the only one?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Am I the only one?

Post by VEGAS »

I sort of know where your coming from Chris, as I often get that feeling when simming and I have a very short attention span usually unable to sit on my backside for more than about 3 minutes before I feel the urge to get up and run around like a hamster with rabies.

However when fresh products and add-ons come out then I seem to have a different out look and can spend hours in front of the screen. I suppose its the 'kid with a new toy' effect.

I certainly don't spend as much time on there as I used to do. :dunno:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think everyone needs a break from time to time.... I've been off work for 10 days and FS has been on for 5 minutes to check something for Garry. Sometimes I just need to remember there's a real world out there... needless to say, when I switch it on again, all is well :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Blimey... I think I may just have seen the first thing in FSX that will make me upgrade my hardware to run my dusty version of FSX!!!! That version of London is spectacular

John
never give up, never surrender

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

basys wrote:VFR London - Click screenshots - http://www.horizonsimulation.com/store/ ... ucts_id=31

HTH
ATB
Paul
Forgive my ignorance but how the heck is that done ? That is London in 3D, but how do they get all the 3D buildings in it ? Surely they're not individually modeled are they ?

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks
Paul K wrote:Surely they're not individually modeled
are they ?
They were. :lol:

AFAIK
Majority were manually created autogen polyline building footprints,
with dedicated texures.
i.e.
Draw the outline on the photo texture
& then set number of floors.

See SDK - Autogen - Creating Building and Vegetation Footprints

'Feature' buildings AIUI were modeled.
e.g. HSBC, Dome, etc.

ATB
Paul

EDITs for crumbs in keyboard.
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Chris, sorry to learn that you are getting fed up with FS, from your writing I think that this may be partly due to the fact that you may have been hugely dissapointed with FSX as many were when it first appeared on the shelves.

I am no expert in this sim as I don't even have it but from experience of other softwares when a new release comes out often the expectations far exceed that of what is offered subsequently the buyers' dissapointment becomes greater.

From the links of the screenshots that Paul has given just goes to show how it can look after cosmetic implants! :roll: Whether or not it is worth spending more than double of what you paid for the actual sim in the first place to have these improvements is very much dependant on how you want it to look.

For my part I do not want to move forward as I am quite happy with FS9, coupled with that the aircraft are brilliant and I could not be @rsed to mess about with files just to get them up and running in something else after all, and unless you spend all your time flying low, the world looks very much the same from a height!! :roll:

Chris, give yourself a couple months break from simming then see how you feel.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

It's funny, but I find just flying along a bit boring sometimes, but I never get bored of flying circuits and practising my landings! Well it is the most challenging part of flying and I love lining up with the runway!

I suppose the thing is that FS is not like the real thing because there is no 3D feeling to it, no peripheral vision, and I think there are really only three different types that feel different to each other: light aircraft, heavy aircraft and helicopters.

I am considering getting two more monitors to create wider view. In the future I would like to see a purpose-designed FS chair with some movement and a wrap-around screen!! Expensive it may be, but I would sooner have that and sacrifice a holiday or two!

It would also be nice to have google earth (or virtual earth) inked up to it to have constant updates so you can discover new things on the ground, such as the latest crop circles!

So Chris, have a break from it, then come back to it one day - it can only get more exciting.... :)

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

If you can afford it. Do your PPL.

No boredom there and 100% satisfaction!

No stutters or FPS issues either. :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image