TrackIR 4Pro?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: TrackIR 4Pro?

Post by jonesey2k »

Ill have to map the pause key to my joystick then :lol:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I've had it for a couple of years or so, and recommend it unreservedly. Next to a joystick and throttle, its just about the best add-on you can have. It can be used in the VC of any sized aircraft, but particularly proves its worth in smaller cockpits, like the Chipmunk, Cessna, Spitfire, and no doubt the Hawk and Sea Vixen.

Being able to keep your eye on where the runway is when downwind and base leg, simply by moving your head, really puts you in the cockpit like never before. If an instrument isn't readable, you just take a closer look at it by moving your face closer to the screen. You can tilt to the left or right to look round a taildraggers nose...or sit up a bit and look over the top of it. And of course, in online multiplayer combat sims like IL2 at Hyperlobby, its nigh on essential for checking your six o'clock and staying alive

One brilliant bit of kit! :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Oh by the way, if you wear specs like I do, and they are varifocals, you will need a pair of single vision ones. I bought a pair of those cheap ones they have on a stand in supermarkets and chemists...only cost me £8 and they are perfect.

The reason for this is that while you turn your head, your eyes remain on the screen. With varifocals, you end up looking through a portion of the lens that blurs what you are seeing. Single vision ones don't have that problem.

I was shot down a lot in Hyperlobby before I realized the problem. Now I can see them quite clearly as they shoot me down. :lol: :lol:

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

Paul K wrote:I've had it for a couple of years or so, and recommend it unreservedly. Next to a joystick and throttle, its just about the best add-on you can have. It can be used in the VC of any sized aircraft, but particularly proves its worth in smaller cockpits, like the Chipmunk, Cessna, Spitfire, and no doubt the Hawk and Sea Vixen.

Being able to keep your eye on where the runway is when downwind and base leg, simply by moving your head, really puts you in the cockpit like never before. If an instrument isn't readable, you just take a closer look at it by moving your face closer to the screen. You can tilt to the left or right to look round a taildraggers nose...or sit up a bit and look over the top of it. And of course, in online multiplayer combat sims like IL2 at Hyperlobby, its nigh on essential for checking your six o'clock and staying alive

One brilliant bit of kit! :)
I second everything that Paul has said here. Have had it for over a year now and cant 'fly' without it. Very impressed indeed and well worth the money.

Martin

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Since I do wear varifocal glasses these days the note on using single focal glasses with Track IR is very interesting and helpful.

Anyone else out there using single focal glasses when using Track IR? If so please add your experience. The last few posts do seem to have turned the balance of this topic from 50/50 for and against to the majority in favour of acquiring this device.

I am watching this topic with great interest so as many as do use the device please join in especiall those users who have had problems of any sort.

I am unlikely to be involved in FS air combat activities.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

You raised an interesting point re. the varifocals Hobby and I too have a pair that I wear when I need to see long distances or very close distances as in needing to see to solder electronic components or making scale models. The central portion is essentially clear glass in my case as I only need assistance at the extreme ends of the focal range. I use my computer without the need of glasses except for when I fly. My flight controls are mounted to a small table that I place in front of my desk and that means I sit roughly 15 inches further back from the monitor and that is enough to send it slightly out of focus. I tried wearing the varifocals but found I had the same problems as Paul K and even tried an old pair of single lens glasses but they were for an older long distance script that were no use either so I had to find a different solution to my problem. I have a widescreen LCD monitor and now when I fly I simply slide the monitor forward on the desk before placing the flight controls into position. When I sit down the viewing distance is the same as normal and everything is in focus, obviously not a solution that will work for everyone but it gets me around the varifocal problem.
Larry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

A couple of years ago, perhaps a little longer, I explained to my optician, after he had told me that I would have to wear glasses every waking hour, that I spent my time staring at a computer screen or reading or writing.

He had my varifocals made with three 'lenses' in one. Distance/Computer screen/reading. He forgot to tell me, or perhaps he thought wiser not to inform me, of the price until the finished article had been fitted!

This also arose because I really did get fed up changing from single lens 'distance' glasses used for seeing the world in focus while Mrs Hobby drove the car while I navigated, to changing to separate reading glasses at about the prevailing speed limit to read a map, and then looking up to see the outside world out of focus - can't read out of focus roadsigns!

If I buy a Track IR I think that I shall have to it a try with my current 'trike' glasses prior to purchasing a bargain fixed focal length pair od specs.

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

When my eyesight deteriorated to the point where I needed different lenses for reading and driving I found that neither was much use for work on the PC. When I spoke to my optician about the problem he made up a pair of 'computer' glasses and they are perfect for screen work. In effect they are a compromise between reading and distance and they cover all work from modelling to watching TV. No more nodding head to try and see which part of my specs will bring the screen into focus.

The downside? Cost, another pair of specs to add to the bill....................

Allan

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

I took the plunge and now have TrackIrPro4 with TrackClip.

I spent last evening being talked through setting the whole gadget up by Tako Kichi. During the process we discovered problems with my 'trike' glasses and the position of electric lighting in my den as well as reflections from the framed prints on my wall all of which gave me some unwanted 'red spots' in the setting up screen.

One very important point to make if you have bought the track clip and are setting up for the first time. You do not, repeat not, need to use the excellent pre-formed metal clip on device with its three curved reflective surfaces. With TrackClip that device is definitely not needed and if you do set it up as per the maker's diagram it will give you a confusing pattern of reflections on the 'black' screen when you are trying to calibrate the device.

The manual I found to be rather unhelpful and I am glad that I was able to find and be given help from an experienced user. I certainly could not have set the TrackIR up without help and may have come top the conclusion that it was not worth the bother and a complete waste of money. Happily that proved not to be the case for once setup and adjusted I found that TrackIR did add immensely to the sense of realism in using FS9, there really is nothing like being able to keep the runway threshold in sight as you fly the downwind, base and final approach to landing. Previously I had to use a four position hatswitch. The enthusiasm shown by forum members in previous correspondence on this topic I believe will soon prove to have been justified.

As with all new programs once you have used it a few times it does become second nature and I may get to the state of mind in a couple of weeks of wondering how an earth I have used FS programs since 1995 but not acquired the earlier versions of TrackIR.

I concluded that the best method of 'setting up and calibration' is to have someone who is experienced sit with you for the whole process either physically next to you or online with you for the whole process until you have made your first solo flight using TrackIR.

My thanks to Larry for providing so much worthwhile help last evening.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

The setting up is always the hard part Hobby but once done you should rarely have to revisit the set up screens again. Just for reference the biggest problems Hobby had were from a light source directly behind him and from light reflections from the glass of picture frames on the wall. TIR DOES NOT like strong light sources in it's field of view and lighting should be above, to the side or behind the sensor that sits on the monitor.

Glad we got you sorted in the end and you can now enjoy flying with 6 degrees of visual freedom. :welldone:
Larry