UKMIL Lightning

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

John
Concorde
Concorde

Re: UKMIL Lightning

Post by John »

@ Mike.... I remember seeing that T5 that's featured in your banner in some WIP shots that were posted a while ago... How's it coming?

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

Ben Hartmann

Post by Ben Hartmann »

Just a quick update we've hit some minor technicalities with this model and a decision has been made that we won't continue to press on with this model....so we are going to start from scratch, all over again....and make a better one!

Stay tuned.....

Ben

stevo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by stevo »

Hi,
Techy111 wrote: Bit disappointed with the Bucc from UKmil as this was touted with SP2 compatibility but only had .BMP files....so not a true FSX bird :worried:
I think if you look in the FSX texture folder extended BMP textures are used in abundance, so FSX does use bmp. OK default FSX aircraft always use DDS but they are both more or less the same format being DXT1, 3 or 5. If saving as a DDS or Bmp both files would save with the same file size.

Personally I don't see any difference in using DDS or Bmp in performance or otherwise. In my FSX sceneries I use both bmp and DDS with no ill effects. The only benefit I've found using DDS is I can open them straight into Photoshop CS, edit, save and use in FSX without any further formatting.

Stevo ;)
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
-Red Dwarf

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Stevo

If you are opening them and saving them in Photoshop you must have a plugin or something because they will not open or save in photoshop.

Photoshop can't open or save DDS without modification :dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

stevo
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by stevo »

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
-Red Dwarf

Arny_01
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Arny_01 »

Personally I model in 3ds, using the textures fashioned in Photoshop .psd - then simply convert them to .dds via the imagetool thingy :o when happy with them, and drop that into the FSX texture folder.
Ben Hartmann wrote:Just a quick update we've hit some minor technicalities with this model and a decision has been made that we won't continue to press on with this model....so we are going to start from scratch, all over again....and make a better one!
Shame to see this abandoned when you so clearly advanced with Mesh. urrrrrrhhhhh another Lightning hits the rocks.... such a great aircraft...
John wrote:@ Mike.... I remember seeing that T5 that's featured in your banner in some WIP shots that were posted a while ago... How's it coming?
Didn't want to hijack someone elses thread - but if their model now abandoned, I guess I'm ok to say that, Yes I'm still the slowest modeller ever hit the world of Flight Sim!!

Virtually nothing to report on (stalled doing the XML coding - which I hate and struggle with to get it to do exactly as I want!) - then end up leaving the model for days on end, whilst I build up enthusiasm to battle with it again!

Regards Mike

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks Stevo.......I'll take a look at that

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Ben Hartmann

Post by Ben Hartmann »

Arny_01 wrote:Shame to see this abandoned when you so clearly advanced with Mesh. urrrrrrhhhhh another Lightning hits the rocks.... such a great aircraft...
By that I assume you mean the Simshed machine? Hopefully thats still sitting in the backroom somewhere, eh Brian?

Rgds

Ben

Railrunner130
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Railrunner130 »

Looks nice!!

CHEERS
Home of the Caribbean-X and Alaska AFCADs Projects plus Repaints
http://home.comcast.net/~ccoarse/index.html

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Rob, exactly, the AI23B was the radar inside the bullet, looks overly large to me, I'll see if I can find a decent picture. And yes some of the Simshed stuff is still alive and ticking over including this. (sorry to hijack)