Nicosia scenery

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Nicosia scenery

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Toby

Just google earthed Nicosia international

is that a Trident still on the Airfield (north side) ?

i can see the tower and Nissen Huts are still there too

Regards
Rick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Last time we looked mate.. I think a Shack minus various bits popped up :o Surprising what's lying around in far distant places :cpu:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Rick Piper wrote:is that a Trident still on the Airfield (north side) ?

i can see the tower and Nissen Huts are still there too
The Trident is 5B-DAB, its been rotting there since 1974. It and 5B-DAE were I believed parked on the runway in an attempt to deny usage of the runway to the Turkish Air Force. The result being that they got strafed by Turkish Super Sabres, destroying 'AE and damaging the other aircraft. 5B-DAC (G-AVFB) and 5B-DAD (G-ASWU) were also there and 'FB sustained some bullet hits on one of the wings (you can still see the patches at Duxford). BA recovered the aircraft but I think 'AB was too badly damaged and any useful parts were salvaged to get the other ones back.

Re the Nissen huts, its been a UN base since 1974 as its in no-man's land between the two sides, so I am not sure if they are the original ones or if the military part of the airfield has been altered since then. Even before the war, the RAF had largely moved out due to Akrotiri being built (so I have read!). Interestingly, according to Hansard (2005), the MoD still own the site though!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I remember reading when I was having a look that the trident was moved over by the hanger (or into the hanger) on the north east corner (North of the terminal) The UN were thinking of re opening the airport a few years back infact in 2005 it was used as a helicopter base by the UN. and a carting track exists just south of the main terminal on the apron. I did find a forum somewhere that had pictures from 2005 /6 and seem to intimate that the trident was no longer there.

[EDIT] Just checked Google earth and the images have been updated since I last looked, they are copyrighted 2008 and clearly show the trident. :) The maps.live.com images (which were the ones I had to use as the google ones were pants at the time, are slightly older (2005?) and you can clearly see the carting track.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

loads of pictures here!

http://search.live.com/images/results.a ... &form=IGRE#

Looks like the trident was parted out, probably by the BA guys at the time they reclaimed the other jet?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yes, I seem to recall one of the [ex-]BA engineers that posts on my forum was involved but I think 'FB and 'WU were rescued, 'AB was deemed to be too far gone and was subject to spares recovery for the benefit of the other two.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

BTW.. that engineless Shack is still there according to the version I have. Look just south of the threshold of rwy 09 ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Wolfgang wrote:Hi Toby,
so I think it'd be difficult for anyone to do unless they had access to more reference material
Yes, thats always the biggest problem, I know.
I only hoped that you have found something about this timeframe in your research for Nicosia.

Best Regards

Wolfgang
If you're still reading this thread Wolfgang, you may be in luck. My photo-research has determined that the older airport buildings still stand as they were located "closer" to the tower just to the south of the eastern end of the cross-runway. The photos I have arent really detailed or enough to reproduce these buildings to the same standard as the 1968 terminal building, but are better than nothing. All that would remain would be to remove what was added later and try to work out what the runway/taxiway/peritrack layout was during that era. So in essence, its looking more possible now, but as a conversion/reversion once I have completed the current scenery.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble accessing my FTP server at the moment (very slow and always times out after submission of username and password :-( :think: ) so I cant post any more progress pictures!

tgibson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by tgibson »

I'm sure Wolfgang will chime in, but I for one am very happy we might see an earlier Nicosia!

Thanks,
Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com

Wolfgang
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi,

and here I´am.
Smelling the sweet fragrance of an