Address to Parliament

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Address to Parliament

Post by Tomliner »

Old Oliver got it spot on.This is what happens when the ruling classes are left to govern themselves.As has been noted, anyone doing something similar outside of Parliament would be facing fraud charges.Come the elections next week,I will be voting for any party who will distance us from the gravy train that is Brussels and all its parasites :@ :@ :@ EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Yes indeed, Eric -
In Oz, "Self-regulation" is the favourite of many sharks, like those in the finance industry, the motor trade and the building game, and pollies of all colours support it .
When I left the UK, I was too young to vote, so I don't know much about the system apart from it being first-past-the-post, but not compulsory voting.
Could someone enlighten me as to what would happen (i.e. the legal situation) in a UK election if no-one at all cast a vote?

MikeW

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

That's an interesting question there Mike, although any person who stood for election and then didn't even vote for themselves would be incredilbly silly! Then of course, the electee, would make sure hubby, wife, partner or all three would vote... Plus you get family and bestest mates to vote, so no matter how concerted the electroate were, there would alway be a handful of votes in any (UK) ballot.

I must say, my knowledge of the Australian voting system is 26 years old. I was told all about it by an Australian friend whilst the first Mrs F was with child. ;) I'm sure it's changed, and I've recollected differently somewhat in the intervening years.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

It would be very dangerous to turn our backs on democracy by not voting or spoiling our papers. Democracy may be a flawed system but nobody's come up with a better one! If a large majority made a protest non-vote, you can be sure that the BNP would benefit because all their supporters would use democracy to gain power. Can you imagine that members of a fascist government would listen to our protests about their behaviour? The fact that so many MPs are being forced to leave shows that we DO hold the power and that democracy works. Please vote.

Ian

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I agree with the above sentiment. Think of all the hardship and suffering that happened to people fighting for the right to vote. Wars fought for freedom of choice. I think we are obliged to vote. Although some would say that gives us the right also not to vote.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think it should be a leagal obligation, and if someone chooses not to vote, they can spoil there paper, but I think its everyones duty.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

speedbird591 wrote:If a large majority made a protest non-vote, you can be sure that the BNP would benefit because all their supporters would use democracy to gain power.
Told you!

BNP Hails Great Victory

Ian

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

That's not power Ian...They are a small drop in an ocean and will achieve absolutely nothing :lol: