Skysim / TeamSDB Political Correctness?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Skysim / TeamSDB Political Correctness?

Post by Garry Russell »

Surely though......we all all big boys and quite capable of standing on our own two feet and as such tbh I can't see what the problem is here

If you don't like it ignore it :dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Reply to ChrisH.

Dramatisation is OK but to distort the truth is not. If people cannot accept that the past has unpalatable truths, then we are going down a very dangerous road of denial. In the case of the Dambusters the dogs' name was a very important part of the event. It was used as a codeword and the dog was buried at the time the planes were over the dam. Yes the word used today is racist. It was then, but people did not give it much thought then. It should be left in so people watching the film know how their parents and grandparents ticked. However much it makes us squirm.

My Dad learnt to fly in the Arnold scheme during the war in Georgia. He told me how the Afro-Americans were treated and thought it was wrong. However he was a staunch supporter of the Empire and Commonwealth and that was suppression of other races and creeds. People had different attitudes in those days and were not so well informed or educated in those matters.

In reply to Skippybing the answer is neither, wasn't it the third!
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I can't disagree with you at all Simon. As I stated originally there are degrees of modification for the purposes of entertainment, some of which is acceptable, some of it less so. I've also got no problem with them using the dogs name in its original context in the film; but that said I understand how it will offend many and I feel genuinely sorry for the writers and producers as they really are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Thanks for the reply.

Apparantly they are making a film about the Tuskegee Airman it will be interesting to see how they handle that.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

What a minefield! I had heard that Peter Jackson was going ahead and using the dog's real name. Perhaps in some territories the word will be overdubbed... "Digger" would look absolutely normal when lip-synched.

As for putting up with unpatable truths... Shouldn't that have been the case when my long and strongly held views on the mad cow Thatcher were peremptorily deleted by members here? :D :D Wasn't that being overly PC as well?

But let's not go there again eh? CHEERS

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Garry Russell wrote:This could be an innocent statement from a younger generation who have no comprehension of the context of what they are talking about.

Garry
B*ll*cks Garry. 'm 65 at the end of this month. I'm also a Yorshireman so I mean what I bloody say and say what I bloody mean. "NIGGER" was the dog's name and to omit it's mention would be to be to aquiesce to the PC brigade. Bit like the people who deny the Holocaust took place. Oh yeah I stick swastikas on the fins of Ju 87s too. :) Thanks for the publicity chaps I think you've just upped SDB's sales by 10%.
BTW the word nigger is derived from the latin word niger meaning black and has nothing whatsoever to do with race.

Edit 12/06/09: Sorry Bob and Frank said my instead of SDB. :$
Last edited by Mickey D on 12 Jun 2009, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for the publicity chaps I think you've just upped my sales by 10%.
Ah.. at last :lol:

I often wonder if I'm too cynical for my own good but there you go. 20years of working with the general public kinda makes you that way. Nice to see my earlier assessment was not misplaced ;-)

BTW.. no one here yet admits to buying it. I keep asking what the framerates are like from someone who's bought it and thus far, my question appears to have fallen on stoney ground. :roll:

EDIT.. Just read your final line again..
BTW the word nigger is derived from the latin word niger meaning black and has nothing whatsoever to do with race
If you honestly believe that mate, then you've just done yourself no favours. We ALL know where the word is derived from and no one living and breathing (unless part of some isolated tribe untouched by mankind) could fail to see the connection. Those that know nothing of Guy Gibson's dog (and there are plenty) may wonder what all the interest is about :lol:
ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Micky

It was only a suggestion not knowing anything about the person who wrote it

I agree with you it's only the name of the dog and I don't see why so much else is brought into it

It should be accepted as what it is...nothing more nothing less..

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

No problem Garry I don't offend easily. ;-)

Dave.

Have a look here

You don't have to search far to find the origin of the word.

http://archives.nd.edu/latgramm.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger

also an interesting reference on the same page here .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger#Usa ... am_Busters

If that's not enough maybe a brisk walk to the library will reveal more. We ALL need to get out more eh? :lol:

CHEERS
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi MD..

No mate.. a trip to the library (or even Wiki) 'isn't' (edited) required for most folk above a certain age and that includes me. I shall not pursue this any further as flogging a dead horse seems rather pointless ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!