Vulcan howl

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Vulcan howl

Post by Garry Russell »

NIce one Adam :thumbsup:

I had a brain wave once.............but it was a very long time ago :worried: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

The problem with this particular brain wave is that it didn't sodding work. 8) :lol:

Same bit rate, format, etc, as the original wave file yet for some reason it doesn't sound. Such are the joys of medalling with Flight Sim. :wall:

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Remember if you're customising your sounds to make them more "life like" that the 301 series Olympus didn't have much of a howl compared to the earlier 201 series as the intakes were wider.

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

Chris H wrote:Remember if you're customising your sounds to make them more "life like" that the 301 series Olympus didn't have much of a howl compared to the earlier 201 series as the intakes were wider.
Seeing as the 201 and 301 models are in seperate folders, that shouldn't be too hard to adhere to. The only problem is that it doesn't work on the 201 model in the first place, and I haven't a clue why. :wall: Don't know how many sound experts we have around here, but anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the issue might be? Dropped the wave file (same bit rate, file format, etc as the original), given it the correct name, not altered anything in the sound config, yet nothing.

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

It is simply ages since I did any sound tinkering, but I shall take a stab.

If you look in the aircraft sound 'cfg' there is a lot of text that lists the wave file names & their allocation, i.e. start, combustion, jet whine etc (i'm looking in the FS9 JF/PSS Vulcan sound folder just to refresh my memory).

I suspect that as you have recorded the sound from one aircraft & put the 'named' wave file in another aircraft sound folder -and from another supplier too, then if there is no text calling for that sound file in the iris vulcan's sound cfg, then it will not appear.

You will need to add a line of text into the Iris sound cfg that calls for this sound file. To do this cold, i.e. just editing the text would be risky. In the past I have used the FS sound studio utility which allows you to listen to the sounds/edit them then save.

I think thats how it works.

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

I'll outline what I did, but if I understand what you're saying, I don't think that's the problem.

1. Isolated the PSS howl, and made a recording of it, in sound recorder, using the stereo mix option.
2. Saved the wave file with the same settings as the original file (I've double checked, both are identical):
Bit rate: 705kbps
Audio sample size: 16 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio sample rate: 44khz
Audio format: PCM

3. Renamed xf_howl.wav to xf_howl2.wav, and copied the recorded wave into the sound folder.
4. Renamed the recorded file to xf_howl.wav.

And this is the config entry for that file:
[JET_WHINE.1.07]
filename=xf_howl
flags=0
viewpoint=2
rparams=0.693000,0.915000,1.000000,1.064000
vparams=0.000000,0.000000,0.143000,0.000000,0.286000,0.000000,0.429000,0.000000,0.733000,0.000000,0.826000,10.638000,0.894000,100.403999,1.000000,30.935997
InsideConeAngle=90
OutsideConeAngle=360
OutsideConeVolume=9200
FS Sound Studio would be one option, but I don't really fancy forking out just to add one sound file in. I'd need to regularly use it to get my money's worth.

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

Mmmmm :((

That's why I stick with FS9 & don't meddle with sound files much.

Never volunteer for anything.

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

delticbob wrote:Mmmmm :((

Bob
:lol: :lol:

Yup, unless it's a drop in file, or even better (like the Maltby wonders) has it's own lovely sound, I leave well alone. I'd rather play at flying in my PC time than sit scratching my napper about what goes where and does what...and probably making a mess of it.... :lol:
Jim

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

forthbridge wrote:
delticbob wrote:Mmmmm :((

Bob
:lol: :lol:

Yup, unless it's a drop in file, or even better (like the Maltby wonders) has it's own lovely sound, I leave well alone. I'd rather play at flying in my PC time than sit scratching my napper about what goes where and does what...and probably making a mess of it.... :lol:
It's nice when the developer does the job properly, but in this case, they haven't!

It's also hard to imagine why anyone would choose to become a developer. This is one sound file, let alone a whole aircraft, that has me stumped. :wall: :lol: