Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Windows 7

Post by Lancman »

Will FS 9 run on all versions of W 7?
Meddle first, understand later.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

Annoyingly i have to buy windows 7 ultimate as i need to be able to run old programs to do with modelling in vista or xp mode

but good old Micro$haft have removed this from home premium! :rant:

So anyone know of a good upgrade price for W7 Ultimate 32/64 bit (needs to be upgrade) although i will later clean install.

Regards
Rick

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Pretty sure you can do the upgrade on the full version mate, so I don't think you need an upgrade only vesion. I thought you could upgrade to Ultimate from within the OS though? Is it not the same as Vista in this way where you just click on the button in the OS and pay the upgrade price and it "unlocks" it?

Also, Can you not use Home Premium and install Windows Virtual PC? This is required on Ultimate anyway to get this type of functionality, its only that the user interface in the "XP Mode" thing is slicker.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Ben Watson wrote:Pretty sure you can do the upgrade on the full version mate, so I don't think you need an upgrade only vesion. I thought you could upgrade to Ultimate from within the OS though? Is it not the same as Vista in this way where you just click on the button in the OS and pay the upgrade price and it "unlocks" it?

Also, Can you not use Home Premium and install Windows Virtual PC? This is required on Ultimate anyway to get this type of functionality, its only that the user interface in the "XP Mode" thing is slicker.
As far as I understand you can, you can upgrade to any version of Win 7 from any lesser version, it's called "Anytime Upgrade" and you can get to it from the Control Panel. It'll take you through purchasing on-line and then you simply whack in the key you are provided with and it will install any missing features.

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

Well i took the plunge and downloaded Windows 7 home Premium straight from M$

upgraded totally painlessly and all my odd design programs work fine

my only dislike is i cannot find anywhere to turn off the Aero glass stuff which i hate as it causes problems with 3d rendering (It did in Vista too) but knew how to disable in Vista.

My PC is much faster to do everything now and FSX is now happy at 40 to 60 fps (20 - 40 in Vista) which is a bonus.

Regards
Rick

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Rick,

Right click anywhere on desktop, select Personalize.

Scroll through the themes until you find Windows 7 Basic. Select. Aero gone.

HTH

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

Or just go start menu/orby thing (whatever they are calling it these days) and pull up services.msc from the run menu. Stop and disable "themes". It'll give you a tremendous fps boost in FSX as well.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I read somewhere that using XP mode in Win 7 makes it run real slow??
I have just upgraded my Dad's laptop from Vista to Win 7 and the difference is amazing , he now has a system that runs well, fast and makes him think he has a new pc!! Its as good as XP in the speed department. Amazing how Microshaft stuck by that bag of sh1t Vista telling the world how good it was....
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Rick Piper
The Gurus

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

Windows 7 is great

But....................

I am now suffering the dreaded OOM errors in FSX just like i did in vista before i did the Memory mapping tweak. (OOM=Out of Memory)

Anyone know how to fix it in W7 ?

Regards
Rick

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Rick. I don't know if this is the same problem, but I experienced OOM messages with FS9 and Vista. I increased the paging file which fixed it.

If you haven't already checked the size of your paging file/virtual memory in W7 you can access it something like this.

Go to control panel>system
Click on Advanced System settings>Advanced tab
In the Performance section click on Settings
Click on Advanced tab> Virtual Memory> Change
Untick 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives'
Change the virtual memory as required
Restart your computer

I believe the optimum paging file size should be 1.5 times the size of your RAM Image

Ian :)