How badly do I need an iPhone?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: How badly do I need an iPhone?

Post by Vancouver »

Tako_Kichi wrote:I guess I must be a Luddite 'cus I've never owned a mobile phone of any sort. :dunno:
Almost me too, had to have one when I worked (although the buggers never recompensed me for it), when I retired I ditched it and don't miss or regret doing so. Aside from how I hate the damned things, the money these tele companies make of it is ridonculous. It used to be companies like ICI who were the big 10, now it's Vodophone.
It's worse here in Canuckistan where they charge you for receiving calls, what's all that about! And don't get me started on the advertising, begging and scam calls, why should users pay for them?
It's all a scam.
Alex

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Tako_Kichi wrote:I guess I must be a Luddite 'cus I've never owned a mobile phone of any sort. :dunno:
Larry, your not alone!

Another Luddite.
Nigel²

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Sorry, Luddites. Your movement was quashed 200 years ago. It failed! We sent you a txt msg but you obviously didn't get it :lol:

Although the device I'm talking about is called an iPhone and it does have communication abilities, don't be misled by the name. The range of devices we're talking about in this thread aren't what you're talking about! These are tiny, pocketable personal computers, many of which are more powerful than home PCs. They accommodate thousands of Apps (applications/programs) that can turn it into a different device for whatever you want to do - wherever you want to do it. Mobile phone communication is one of them. Optional!

My pitch here is that Apple Apps do things in a cooler way than Android Apps - generally speaking - and caused me to want the device so much that I fell in love with it and threw all common sense out of the window. :lol:

The 'I don't need a mobile phone debate' was waaaay back. IIRC I think you lost that one too :lol:

Ian :)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

speedbird591 wrote:
My pitch here is that Apple Apps do things in a cooler way than Android Apps -

Having had my hands on several Apple devices helping their users Use them I must say,
I don't think so.
Differently maybe, but not cooler, friend :)

The only thing Apple have have that makes me a teeeeeeenie tiny bit jealous is the FAA approved flight planning app.

Anyway I know you were just having a bit of fun... in the words of Steve Walsh.. Carry on My Wayward Son.
B)smk

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Apple is just a clever marketing machine that badges stuff that's been around for years in a way that sticks an "i" infront of it so people think its cool. Ask Eric about "Air Print" :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

TSR2 wrote:Ask Eric about "Air Print" :lol:
:lol: OK. Tell us about Air Print, Eric!

I'd like to see you try and prise Eric's iPad out of his sweaty grasp, Ben :lol:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:)

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

speedbird591 wrote:The 'I don't need a mobile phone debate' was waaaay back. IIRC I think you lost that one too :lol:
I don't think so, I didn't need one then and I still don't need one now. 'Need' and 'want' are not interchangeable words (that's why we have both after all). I know I am in a minority but since being disabled by a life altering illness I'm stuck at home 24/7 (about the only time I leave the house is to go to the doctor's or the hospital) so my mobility is zero and hence my need for a mobile communication device is also zero.

I do have a Blackberry tablet so I can get my app fix that way. :lol:
Larry

Herkpilot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Herkpilot »

I too suffered a serious case of iPhone desire. After lots of thought, I bought an iPOD touch which has almost all of the features of the iPhone except for the expensive data plan. Its WiFi only (free WiFi is everywhere here) and slides easily into my shirt pocket. Its also lighter and thinner than the iPhone. With bluetooth audio it interfaces nicely with my car radio so my music comes with me. I kept my old very basic flip phone (no text, no data) with cheap minutes and I now have the best of both worlds.

Hy

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

anyone using any of the i- devices use a voip app?

Ben, what options are there for the windows phone.?

Joe