Brrrrr!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

cjw50310
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Brrrrr!

Post by cjw50310 »

As I type, the current temp is a balmy -12C, which is a good deal warmer that the high temp from Monday. It managed all of -21C as the high, and factoring in the winds it felt closer to that magical number -40.

It was cold enough the dog didn't want to spend much time outdoors, and I usually have to drag her back in kicking and screaming.

Chris
When all else fails, manipulate the data.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

We`ve experinced much colder temps then the early morning temp of 45 yesterday. But . considering we had a high of 82 Monday, 45! with the wind, was very uncomfortable.
It gave me cause to reflect on the blizzard of 78 which was absolutely brutal. Minus 18 and snow drifting that buried homes. Was it was the start of another ice age? .. :worried:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I've been thinking, actually, that Alex probably has the air conditioning on as a matter of course. The wood heater was just to top it up?

Often strikes me how in general, humans are really only comfortable in a narrow band of temperatures. TBH, the 40c forecast for next week isn't my cup of tea either. We don't have air con or double glazing. When they predict 40+ for several days in a row, the unshaded windows get the cooking foil treatment. :hide:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Mylar. :thumbsup:

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Well the big freeze backed off a bit today to a balmy -10°C. Unfortunately it also meant the warmer house temps thawed out a frozen hot water pipe to the washing machine in the laundry room! 8) :doh:

Thankfully it showed itself during the day and my wife was in the kitchen so heard the sudden sound of spraying water and was able to get the water shut off PDQ. There was a 3/4" split in the copper pipe right under a wall clip but I was able to cut the split out and make a repair using a pair of compression fittings with a screwed nipple between them. The local hardware store (a large one too) had sold out of the usual fittings for this type of job as they had been rushed off their feet all day with people fixing burst pipes! At least the bits I managed to get worked and we are up and running again but the joint is not very elegant. :lol:
Larry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Airspeed wrote:Alex.....you THOUGHT about lighting the wood heater at -1?? Was that inside??
It was +12c the other evening, and I lit the gas heater! What do you have for insulation?
Jack Daniels :party:
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Noooooo.. alcohol thins the blood though of course you don't care at the time :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

airboatr wrote:Mylar. :thumbsup:
Hi Joe,
Had to look that one up, we usually just ask for biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate; rolls off the tongue nicely.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Or BoPet if your hip on the jargon...... you know :dunno:

:wasntme: