Scan Guard offered free until 4 November

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Scan Guard offered free until 4 November

Post by Nigel H-J »

Are you saying that you can't update Defender and that Defender is stopping Win7 updates?? Can you update Win7 now you have Avast installed?
Hi Dave, unable to update either unfortunately, even with Avast now installed still cannot update and mine is just like Grahams. :((

However, I did find on one search regarding trouble shooting that if you are on metered broadband which I am this can stop or hinder updates from Microsoft.

Did not want metered i.e. 25Gb monthly usage so going unmetered soon but comes with slower connection. Once the changeover is completed then hopefully should have no problems.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

It was a rogue W7 update.

Google it and you should find a solution.

I am using Security Essentals and still get W7 updates.

George
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'd tend to agree with George on this one. Having a metered BB should make absolutely no difference to Windows updates. While I'm on an unlimited contract now.. I ran Win7 on a 10gb contract for years without problems ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Nigel H-J wrote:
Are you saying that you can't update Defender and that Defender is stopping Win7 updates?? Can you update Win7 now you have Avast installed?
Hi Dave, unable to update either unfortunately, even with Avast now installed still cannot update and mine is just like Grahams. :((

Regards
Nigel.
Hi Nigel and Graham,

As I said the other day I have overcome the problem of Windows 7 Update getting stuck. The answer is to manually download and install a newer version of the Update Agent in Windows 7. As the update agent itself is faulty it won't download the newer version, you have to manually download it. I downloaded a newer version of the update agent from Microsoft Support here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Scroll down till you find the version you need, you don't say whether you're using Windows 7 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64) but they are both there.

Alternatively there is a new Windows 7 roll up of lots of updates including the latest update agent from July 2016 which should be a quicker easier way of getting Windows 7 up to date. Again you have to manually download and install it from Microsoft Support here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Again make sure you get the right version for copy of Windows 7.

I spent a lot of time being frustrated by this problem and searching for the solution, so I hope this helps.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Still searching for a way to get my Windows 7 to update though may have to wait until Wednesday when Sky change me from metered to unlimited albeit X2 slower.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... update-faq

Click on the bottom one and it gives information regarding metered broadband.

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Did you check Jon's link above Nigel??

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave, yes I did and scanning for updates again took all day with nothing happening. When I'm on unmetered I will try again so keeping me fingers crossed.

Regards
Nigel.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nigel H-J wrote:Hi Dave, yes I did and scanning for updates again took all day with nothing happening. When I'm on unmetered I will try again so keeping me fingers crossed.

Regards
Nigel.
You downloaded and installed the new update agent and windows still won't update or did you download and install the bundle?
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Hi Nigel,

Did you manually download and install the newer Update Client using your web browser from one of the links I posted?

You can't get the new client using the broken Update Client it just keeps trying to find updates and never goes anywhere. You may need to ensure that the broken update client isn't currently searching for updates when you install the new client.

Jon

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Jon, will give that another go and make sure that the broken update Client is off, at the moment got a big download going to update my Rex Essential + Overdrive so when that finishes in around one hour I will give it another try.

Kind regards
Nigel.